please explain this software in dummy terms

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
kvnmcwebn

please explain this software in dummy terms

Post by kvnmcwebn »

hi im just looking for software to run windows from my mac so i can test my sites in ie6 and 7. This looks like a good option but its a bit scary for me cause i dont understand the guest and host os concept.

I guess i want to know if this software runs inside of mac osx or does osx run inside of it? if that makes sense...

if theres any good articles for dummies you can recommend on this subject that would be great.

-------------------------------
best
kevin
pvmstg

virtualisation

Post by pvmstg »

In simple term. This software, like others of this type only make and abstraction betwen the software and the hardware. So with that it'S like having one or many (physical) computer on the same hardware.

When install, you have to provide and operating software likke in a real physial computer. But, when in a physical computer you only can work with one operating system at time you can, with virtualisation software, run many.

You can in the same time (limit only by memory available), have a macosX on your physical computer but also have a linux, win2000, winXP, dos, winVista running. You have to install each of these system on it's own virtual machine.

Hoping it's clear since my english is not good.

If you only whant to check your webpage in ie or use ie for specific task, a cheaper easyer way is by using an API who can use .exe program directly on the mac.

For that darwine (the mac port of wine) is the solution with the ie installation. More easy than that... You first install darwine by dragging the appli folder on your application folder. Then, you download with a script the ie flavor you like... Instead of window who only can use one version of ie at the time, you can use 5, 5,5, 6 and soon 7 at the same time.

Look at mike site http://www.kronenberg.org/mike/ and download the 0,9,54 build (aroud a new built by week this time). After download is script ie4osx look at project for links. Each new built lets more and more exe to run directly on the mac.

Just a tip, if you use other programs than ie, make a folder outside the darwine folder for the install of your programs. Go to preference in darwine and give it a letter like F so, when upgrading darwine you do not have to reinstall the programs... just replace the folder like I'm going to do right now.
swiney

Post by swiney »

pvmstg implied one point that may not have been entirely clear. If you use virtualbox to run IE, you'll need to own a copy of windows to install inside virtualbox. Darwine won't require a windows installation.

One other way to do some minimal IE testing would be to go to various websites that show you how IE sees the web page.

Check out:
http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/

for example
pvmstg

virtualisation

Post by pvmstg »

Yes it's the basic... virtualisation is only a virtual computer so... like the physical one you need and os....

Just to be clear for Darwine you need intel computer but since it's API, you doesn't need a copy of window, it's not virtualisation, so... it's just a way to run exe on osX directly.... Unfortunately a lot of work have to be done. But for ie and other small exe program that's ok.