msxml4.dll failed to register

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
gonraz
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP 32-bit

msxml4.dll failed to register

Post by gonraz »

I've been trying to install a mortgage evaluation software on my guest machine but I keep getting the following error message during installation:

"Module C:\Program Files\LoadEval\Software\msxml4.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147023782. Contact your support personnel."

My installation is not successful and the software fails to launch. My system config is as follows:

Host: Mac OS X 10.6.6

Guest: Microsoft Windows XP SP3 32-bit, Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit

I tried installing on a WIndows XP host and it worked without problems. Am I right to suspect that the software somehow requires a native Windows machine as opposed to a virtual Windows machine running on Mac?
Ken Hagan
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows (various)

Re: msxml4.dll failed to register

Post by Ken Hagan »

The error is just "I failed to load this DLL coz its initialisation routine failed", which doesn't tell us much. On the other hand, I've successfully installed msxml4 on all 6 permutations of XP, Vista and 7, 32/64-bit, so it's probably not VirtualBox.

It looks like your mortgage software is trying to install MSXML4 by just copying the file to its own application directory and registering it. This is pretty evil. The right way is to use the package that Microsoft offer at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... laylang=en. That installs the current version to the correct place, typically C:\WINDOWS\System32\MSXML4.dll.

If you already have the latest version there (which is not impossible, since all sorts of applications might have put it there) then I'm not surprised that an attempt to put a (probably older) version into the wrong place runs into errors. If the rest of your mortgage application installs then you can ignore this error, but if it is causing the whole installation to abort then I'm afraid you need to be more cunning. (One idea might be to uninstall the working version, let your broken installer do its stuff, and then re-install the official package. That's tedious, but fairly safe to try because obviously the final step lets the official installer clean up for you.)