Virtual networking and pentesting

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ThePistonDoctor

Virtual networking and pentesting

Post by ThePistonDoctor »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and would like to say hi. I'm a pentester and would like to set up a virtual network at my home for testing like I have at work on Windows (VMWare) but I have OSX at home. Here is what I want to do:

1. Create two to four RHEL4 or RHEL5 boxes and network them together as if they're on a LAN.

2. Create one Backtrack 2 box and network it w/ the others so I can use it to attack them.

Internet access is not important, at least at this point.

An example of how am using this at work: I created two RHEL4 boxes and one backtrack box (let's say the IPs are 192.168.2.9 for the Backtrack box and 192.168.2.4 and 192.168.2.5 for the RHEL4 boxes). I set up 2.4 or 2.5 to allow SSH connections and SSH to it from 2.9, then steal password files, try to gain root, etc, and continue adding security on the RHEL boxes and trying to break through it until the systems are very hardened.

I want to have this same setup at home, but with OSX. Can I do it w/ VirtualBox and if so, how? I have ~160GB of space to mess w/.

Thanks!

Chris
ThePistonDoctor

Post by ThePistonDoctor »

Oh and by the way, I have a PowerPC based mac, running Windows doesn't matter to me.
gam
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: WinXP; Win 7; Linux Mint

Post by gam »

ThePistonDoctor wrote:Oh and by the way, I have a PowerPC based mac, running Windows doesn't matter to me.
Err - whether you want to run Windoze or not is not the issue here. The fact you have a non-Intel machine makes VirtualBox a non-starter for you.
Mac OS X 10.11.x; 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3 iMac
Virtual Box 5.0.8
Guest OSs: Win XP; Win7; Linux Mint