windows 2000 on macbook

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
newhere123

Post by newhere123 »

When using a virtual machine, think of it as two computers next to each other. Plug a device into the Mac, and the Mac can use it. Select the usb device from the VB window and that device moves connection from the Mac to the Windows. There is no competition; Windows won't try to use them or lock them up unless you select it from VirtualBox. Now, I use Parallels more than VirtualBox, but I'm pretty sure the same is true for both. If you're 100% sure, then let me know.
Son of a Beach

Post by Son of a Beach »

I think we're actually saying exactly the same thing here. All I'm really trying to say is: Make sure it's not configured in VB to be used by the Windows virtual machine.
newhere123

Post by newhere123 »

Right. But the whole problem this person was having was that he wasn't able to let the virtual machine access the device.
Orishnu

Post by Orishnu »

newhere is right, i can't get the windows guest to access any of my USB devices. I have tried everything in this post so far, so if anyone has suggestions on how to get my windows 2000 guest to recognize and access the devices would be helpful.
Son of a Beach

Post by Son of a Beach »

Somebody suggested using the device on the Mac OS X host, and networking to the host from the Windows Virtual machine as a work around for accessing the data on the USB device. I was not trying to suggest a fix, but merely attempting to point out that to use this work around, you would have to make sure that the USB devices are NOT configured to be used by VB.

Sorry if I've confused everybody, but it wasn't meant to be that hard to explain. :)
Orishnu

Post by Orishnu »

alright, thanks for the advice, ill see if it does anything. all i have to do is disable the filter in the settings right?