Copy/Paste prepends FEFF character

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
justjoan
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP

Copy/Paste prepends FEFF character

Post by justjoan »

When I copy some text from guest to my Mac host, there is a U+FEFF character prepended to the text.
In other words, every time I paste a text snippet to a file in my Mac, a U+FEFF character is added to the beginning.

FEFF is an invisible character, but it can be identified by pasting into a TextWrangler file and using Text>Zap Gremlins and selecting "replace with code" radio button. I use this procedure to identify the Unicode values of text I have copied. (Note that it leaves alphabetic characters alone.) The problem does not occur if I paste from another source into TextWrangler.

Unfortunately, the FEFF character can be picked up and recopied to other places in the file without realizing it.
SO, is this a Byte-Order Mark? Do you think this is a problem with VirtualBox or with how TextWrangler is handing the text snippet?

I am a new VirtualBox user and have done some searching, but not seen this particular issue.

No FEFF is copied when pasting within Virtual Box, so it probably has to do with the Shared Clipboard. I am currently on Bidirectional, but changing setting to Guest-to-Host does not affect problem. It still happens.

Thanks,
JustJoan

MacBookPro Snow Leopard 10.6.3
Guest:WinXP SP3
VB: 3.1.4 r57640
eljay040

Re: Copy/Paste prepends FEFF character

Post by eljay040 »

Same problem over here.

Host: macOS Sierra 10.12.3 (16D32)
Guest: Windows 7, SP1
VirtualBox: 5.0.32 r112930
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

eljay040 wrote:Same problem over here.
I highly doubt that after 7 years it is the same problem.

Where are you copying from, where are you pasting to? And I don't mean host to guest or vice versa, I mean which app to which app.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jsdev

Post by jsdev »

I don't have this problem.

Host: macOS Sierra 10.12.3
Guest: Windows 10
VirtualBox: 5.1.14
hellas

Post by hellas »

I have the same problem.

Host: macOS Sierra 10.12.6
Guest: Windows 7
VirtualBox: 5.1.30
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

'hellas', you got to do better than that. Logs, diagnostics, setup, applications used, steps to recreate it, Minimum information needed for assistance.

You realize that a "me too" doesn't actually help us help you, right? Especially in a 7-year old thread...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.