No audio

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
jyvonne27

No audio

Post by jyvonne27 »

Hi I'm running Win XP on my Macbook through Virtual Box and I love it, but I do not have any sound on the windows side. Can someone please help me get that working?

Thanks!
rogerdugans

Post by rogerdugans »

Very possibly-

Not sure just how it looks on a Mac, but the main VBox Manager (where the different VMs are listed and so on) should let you select the VM you want to adjust, and then click on "Settings".

That should open up on the "General" settings, and have a list of others; one of them should be "Audio", which by default is turned OFF, at least in linux.

Note that the VM should be OFF when you adjust settings here.

When you start the VM, sound should work. :)
Overclocked, watercooled and running Linux.
New to VirtualBox but very happy with it so far. :)
jyvonne27

that fixed it

Post by jyvonne27 »

thanks!
rogerdugans

Post by rogerdugans »

You're welcome. :)

Just as a note- the user manual pdf is long, but it has LOTS of good info in it, and would likely solve about half the threads I have seen in this forum. ;)

I spent two days screwing around myself before resorting to it for USB stuff. :D

Now I seem to be Poster Boy for RTFM. :lol:
Overclocked, watercooled and running Linux.
New to VirtualBox but very happy with it so far. :)
pjotre

Post by pjotre »

Hi!

I'm also having issues with sound on a macbook:

I can hear my Windows XP perfectly, but the build-in mic doesn't work... I chose 'core audio drivers' and set audio-in within XP to 'mic'.

Did anyone figure out how to use the mic?
Chris Lepore

Post by Chris Lepore »

I can't get audio enabled in XP either. I have audio enabled in the guest settings, using CoreAudio, and have tried both the ACH97 and SoundBlaster 16 settings. Any other suggestions?
poetzsch
Volunteer

Post by poetzsch »

pjotre: Sorry, audio input isn't supported in the beta 3.
titaniumtux

Set the host audio driver

Post by titaniumtux »

Hey, after finding this thread, I end up figuring the issue out on my own so I figured I'd post.

In VirtualBox (make sure the guest OS is powered off), right-click on the guest and select Settings. Then in the Settings select Audio from the menu on the left. Make sure audio is enabled. You must select the host audio driver. In my case (my host OS is Ubuntu Linux), I selected ALSA Audio Driver and everything worked fine (I was actually setting up a backed up virtual machine... well using an existing VDI file and I was disappointed that my previous VirtualBox Settings were not included by default).

I've managed to get the microphone to work before, but I didn't seem to figure it out this time around. I've unmuted it everywhere in the guest and host, and still couldn't pin-point it... Shucks!
My LAMPP: http://delltuxlamp.no-ip.org
Primary computer: Everex StepNote SA2053T 1.73 GHz, 100GB HDD, 2GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux & VirtualBox 1.5.6 with Windows eXPerience Professional Service Pack 2
dbabba

How to use microphone

Post by dbabba »

I have a Vista 32bit host with a Mint 5 guest (mint 5 is based on ubuntu hardy). I want to be able to use my microphone in the guest. I have VBox 1.6.2. Is this possible?
m@riposa
Volunteer

Post by m@riposa »

Audio input is not yet implemented in the Mac version of VirtualBox, so it is probably not possible.
ptram

Post by ptram »

I see Mariposa's answer dates some months back. I'm trying to make the internal mic of my MBP work, and it seems there is no way. Is there any news on this issue?
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

You really should be so polite to honour the programmers and manualwriters work by reading the documentation,
usually this is called -rtfm-, read the fine made manual, or so,
where in chapter 13 clearly is stated that on Mac-OS hosts exists
– No support for audio input.
ptram

Post by ptram »

tkwm,

What's not clear to you in the sentence "any news on this issue"?
Obviously, if you don't know any news on this issue, please don't feel obliged to answer.
phunkydrummer

Audio problem solved

Post by phunkydrummer »

Hi,

I just spent one hour to figure out how to get some sound.

I am running Windows 2000 SP4 on a new Intel Macbook 2Ghz.

SB 16 didn't work, so you have to select:

settings-> audio -> host driver: core audio, controller: ICH AC97.

Make sure the volume is up, and everything works fine.
yatman

not working

Post by yatman »

Hey phunkydrummer, I'm running vista ultimate 64 and it doesn't seem to work. I tried IHC AC97 and Soundblaster 16.

Could it be that vista 64? I'm about to delete that VM and try vista 32.

Any thoughts?