sidux host win 2000 guest can't print to hpdeskjet on ltp1

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.

sidux host win 2000 guest can't print to hpdeskjet on ltp1

Postby arjay » 1. Sep 2009, 17:16

Hi all. First-time user of VirtualBox 3.04 OSE. I have a win2000Pro guest running on Sidux Linux host. My printer is an HP Deskjet 840C connected to lpt1.

The problem is that any attempt to print a test page either just sits in the queue or returns the error "printer out of paper". Printing from a command prompt (e.g. dir > ltp1) does nothing. The printer works fine if I print from the host.

What I have done:

1. searched the forums direct and via google. Did not turn up much except it appears there is limited support for parallel printing (?) Apologies if there is more and I did not find it. Read the manual from cover to cover (well almost) but did not find anything

2. I installed the correct win 2000/XP drivers for this printer - which work OK on a win 2000 box direct.

3. Did a PrintTest from the printer itself - OK

4. Changed the printer cable - no difference

5. Checked device manager and the port shows up ok without any sign of errors.

6. Tried a couple of things I found in a VMWare post (and IIRC a post on VB on too) where it is suggested that the host can "hog" the port. So I:

Code: Select all   Expand viewCollapse view
rmmod lp
chmod 666 /dev/parport0
modprobe ppdev

then shutdown the win2000 VM, rebooted VB and restarted the VM. Still not able to print anything.

7. Checked lsmod - ppdev, parport and parport_pc are present

8. Downloaded and ran lpt.exe from http://neil.fraser.name/software/lpt/ which ran OK and gave a screenshot of lpt1 with nearly all data bit boxes checked and no obvious errors. Not sure what else it tells me :?

Have run out of things to try at my stage of understanding.

Any help appreciated.

RJ
arjay

Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 2000

Re: sidux host win 2000 guest can't print to hpdeskjet on ltp1

Postby arjay » 4. Sep 2009, 18:35

Just to update folks. I have given up on Virtualbox. I can't get it to print to an lpt printer and I can't get usb to work either - both with a win 2000 guest on a Linux host.

I presume some people must be able to print in these conditions or there would not be many takers for VB!

I believe that using the other version of VB - PUEL rather than OSE would help, but sidux is a fast moving distro and they supply OSE out of the box. Anything else and you spend your life updating, patching and even compiling.

I have found an old PC that runs Win 2000 just fine and have slipped it into my network. I also tried vmware server in Kubuntu on another PC and that worked straight off (though a lot more over-head and more effort in setting up). So two solutions.

Good luck to anyone else but sorry I have no solution to the lpt problem
arjay

Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Windows 2000

Return to VirtualBox on Linux Hosts