Virtual Box 3.0.4 and Snow Leopard?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ajmas
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Virtual Box 3.0.4 and Snow Leopard?

Post by ajmas »

After upgrading to Snow Leopard has anyone encountered any issues using Virtual Box 3.0.4? I am not suggesting there are any, though I would like to know if there is anything that would make me to want to wait a couple of weeks before upgrading.
VB version: 6.x Primary OS: MacOS X 11.0.1 on Intel Mac
JQW

Re: Virtual Box 3.0.4 and Snow Leopard?

Post by JQW »

I've noticed a few problems so far:

You get prompted for an admin password every so often. I've no idea at the moment what's responsible for this, although it seems to be resource related.

On starting some VMs there's now a warning about the video mode not having the correct colour depth. I've only seen this with some Linux installations so far.

The dialogue box for creating a new VM has some minor corruption, but is usable.

The most serious problem, though, is that I've lost network communications between two VMs, one running DOS and the other running NT 4.0, communicating over an internal network connection using a custom protocol. They used to communicate fine, now it seems that the listener process is having some binding issues. This may related to the problem above with passwords.
ajmas
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by ajmas »

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit kernel?
VB version: 6.x Primary OS: MacOS X 11.0.1 on Intel Mac
JQW

Post by JQW »

32-bit here - I've got one of the early 32-bit MacBook Pros.
colinncox
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Microsoft Vista

Post by colinncox »

I also have the following problems, every time I start a VM I have to enter my password. I also get the prompt about 32bit colour, even though that is what is selected on the host.
bkim
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Ubuntu

Post by bkim »

I'm also gettting the same problems after upgrading to Snow Leopard. In addition, I'm having problems mounting a USB drive in both Win XP and Ubuntu. I get an error about failing to attach the usb drive and then all of the usb devices become unavailable. VirtualBoxVM has also crashed several times.
adamauden
Guest OSses: Vista

Post by adamauden »

Has anyone been having trouble with seamless mode? I upgraded to 10.6 w/ Virtual Box 2.2.4 and the desktop was no longer being transparrent in seamless mode. Same problem with 3.0.4, it seems. I've tried it with a freshly downloaded Ubuntu image and am having the same trouble, so I don't think it's my guest that's the problem. I'm at a bit of a loss.

I'm also seeing the request for an admin login from time to time too, not sure if that will calm down over time or not.
davenorth
Guest OSses: Various Debian & Ubuntu

Post by davenorth »

1. Same problem with the authorization. If you click on the details triangle in the alert box that comes up to request the password, it says ->
Right: system.privilege.setugid_appkit
Application: VirtualBoxVM
Maybe someone can bone it out knowing that.

2. No problems with USB storage or hookups so far.

3. Seamless mode doesn't seem to be working for me either. I don't normally use it, so I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't ask!
j0hnnyr00k
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 9

Post by j0hnnyr00k »

adamauden wrote:Has anyone been having trouble with seamless mode? I upgraded to 10.6 w/ Virtual Box 2.2.4 and the desktop was no longer being transparrent in seamless mode. Same problem with 3.0.4, it seems. I've tried it with a freshly downloaded Ubuntu image and am having the same trouble, so I don't think it's my guest that's the problem. I'm at a bit of a loss.

I'm also seeing the request for an admin login from time to time too, not sure if that will calm down over time or not.
Yeah, I've been having the same problem with seamless mode. There is actually a thread on this issue here http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21624, but none of the suggestions worked for me.

I've noticed the admin login too, usually right when I start up my Ubuntu guest.
iVirtualize
Guest OSses: Windows XP Professional SP3, Linux Ubuntu 9.04, OpenSolaris, Windows 7 build 7100, gOS

Post by iVirtualize »

I used VirtualBox for the first time since upgrading to Snow Leopard today, and created a Windows 7 VM. All was well until I tried to run it in seamless mode. Like others in this thread, the desktop of my Windows 7 VM showed through over my OS X desktop. I would rather see just the windows from the VM, and not the desktop. However, if there is a way to show the VM's desktop icons, but not the background, that would be nice, too.
iVirtualize
Mac OS X 10.6 host
LiveAndroid, OpenSolaris, Ubuntu 9.04, Windows XP SP3, gOS, and Windows 7 guests
VirtualBox 3.0.4
pdwm
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux/Ubuntu

Post by pdwm »

I have got Snow Leopard. All my VM's seem to be okay. But I cannot seem to create new ones. Seems to be a problem accessing the .iso's. Have not tried DVD yet.

Anyhow I will have another look and be more precise.
pdwm
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux/Ubuntu

Post by pdwm »

Further to my last post. I have just tried creating a new VM from a DVD, it worked fine. So burn the .iso to DVD for now.
Regarding the .iso. I have just tried it again and all seems to be okay.. Hmm.
I also get asked for my password before I can access the VM (or do other things).

So some things seem to have sorted themselves out.
diasan
Guest OSses: linux

Post by diasan »

1. Same problem with the authorization. If you click on the details triangle in the alert box that comes up to request the password, it says ->
Right: system.privilege.setugid_appkit
Application: VirtualBoxVM
Maybe someone can bone it out knowing that.
I recall reading something in the SL release notes - possibly the appkit release notes - that a change has been made so that programs using
AppKit (i.e the GUI) are not allowed to be setuid or setgid. As a backward compatibility measure, they allow programs compiled before SL to still run. I think it said something about that backward compatibility facility needing to start an authentication dialog.

It looks like the latter measure is being hit.
I guess a change is need to VirtualBoxVM to either split the setuid/setgid part to a seperate program, or refactor it to not use AppKit (directly).
iVirtualize
Guest OSses: Windows XP Professional SP3, Linux Ubuntu 9.04, OpenSolaris, Windows 7 build 7100, gOS

Post by iVirtualize »

I also had the same problem with authorization every time I access a VM. I think it's Snow Leopard's security (reminds me a lot of my Windows 7 virtual machine), and there is probably a way around it.
iVirtualize
Mac OS X 10.6 host
LiveAndroid, OpenSolaris, Ubuntu 9.04, Windows XP SP3, gOS, and Windows 7 guests
VirtualBox 3.0.4
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

There isn't an official release for SL yet, so please be patient. One will come in due time. Probably when the next VB version is released. There are some major changes as you might have figured in Snow Leopard which is causing all these issues. Until a new version is build specifically for these changes, you will keep having problems.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.