Networking issues with 3.0.0 and VT-x/AMD-V enabled.

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Hajitorus
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WinXP, Ubuntu, OpenSolaris

Networking issues with 3.0.0 and VT-x/AMD-V enabled.

Post by Hajitorus »

Hi,

I'm running a Windows XP virtual machine on my MacBook Pro. I'm pretty much only using it for the ability to run Cisco's Fabric Manager (mostly just an SNMP frontend for Cisco fabric switches). I noticed that after the upgrade to the 3.0.0 BETA as well as the 3.0.0 release, Fabric Manager was operating incorrectly. Today I tried reinstalling 2.2.4 to get it working again, and noticed that that resolved my issue. However, I also glanced through the release notes and saw:

"VMM: performance improvements for network I/O (VT-x/AMD-V only)"

Tried disabling the VT-x/AMD-V, and this resolved my issue. Just wanted to provide the forums/Google some juice to let other people know if they're experiencing this issue. I don't use my VM for very much aside from Fabric Manager and Software Update, so I'm not sure if this issue has been reported as some wider networking breakage. (Couldn't find anything via the forum search.)

Short version: 3.0.0 breaks (at least some) networking on my Macbook Pro running Mac OS X, primarily for Cisco Fabric Manager. Disable VT-x/AMD-V to resolve. (Settings -> System -> Acceleration).

Edited to add: Device Manager still fails though. Downgrading to 2.2.4 to get things working again.
Last edited by Hajitorus on 6. Jul 2009, 05:14, edited 1 time in total.
netballi
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Mac Os Leopard

Re: Networking issues with 3.0.0 and VT-x/AMD-V enabled.

Post by netballi »

hi

I have recently loaded Virtualbox 3.0.0 on my Mac OS 10.5.5 and trying to run a xp system in it but the as soon as I start the virtual machine I get error stating cannot find VT-x/AMD-V which is enabled by default. i cannot disable it as it is greyed out.

Any suggestion how to disable VT-x/AMD-V .

Netballi :?: