Uninstalling and removing user information

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
forman@gwu.edu
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: xp, Windows 7

Uninstalling and removing user information

Post by forman@gwu.edu »

I had a vhd for Windows 7 and then one with more apps installed. Unfortunately, they had the same IID so VirtualBox woudln't take the second one. I tried removing the first but ran into problems and couldn't delete it (something about snapshops that couldn't be removed). So I decided to remove VirtualBox and then reinstall. Unfortunately, the uninstall script does not delete the user data which has the information about the disk that couldn't be removed. I saw a closed case that acknowledges this, and but did not say how to remove the user information so I can reinstall VirtualBox from scratch. Can anyone provide this information?

Ernest
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Uninstalling and removing user information

Post by Perryg »

You need to go into the Virtual Media Manager and remove them from there if you have already deleted the VM. Click on file then VMM. It works like a drill down file tree.
forman@gwu.edu
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: xp, Windows 7

Post by forman@gwu.edu »

I wasn't able to remove it from the media manager unless I first deleted the vm's.

I think I found the answer myself -- using Finder, navigate to : user\Library and there was a VirtualBox folder which I trashed and was able to start anew.

Still don't know why I had problems removing the machine in the first place.

Still would like some help in using the copy routine to copy a vhd to one with a new IID.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

I use the export feature myself. That way I don't need to shut everything down to use the CLI. It creates another ID and then you can import it back in and have (2) copies. One to work on and the other to export again if you trash the one you are working on. It does convert the copy to VMDK but that is no problem.