Win 7 screen resolution

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Haroldo
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP Pro

Win 7 screen resolution

Post by Haroldo »

I've been using VB with XP for a while now on my MacBook (native 1280x800).
I have it set up to run in OS X's Maximize mode (green button) so it takes up nearly the full screen (except the Finder menu) and I can use Spaces to toggle. In addition the Dock set to AutoHide is easily accessible.
I loaded Windows 7 yesterday. I set the VB settings in CD to point to the Guest Additions. When I click Install Guest Additions... nothing happens.
Wnen I use 7 and go into Control Panel/Screen Resolution I have a choice of 4 or 5 resolutions (unlike XP before I added the Guest Additions, where I only had one screen resolution).
However, none of the Win 7 settings get the proper resolution for my needs.
Let me explain.
With VB XP using OS X Maximize (green button), XP fills the screen (with the exception of the Finder menu).
In 7, I have the following choices.
- I can use VB Full Screen Mode (Command F), but only with 1024 by 768. It appears okay, but I can't see a lot on my screen and have to constantly scroll the windows. In addition, there are two wide black bars on the side of unused space. If I use any other resolution, 7's task bar is off the screen.
- I can use OS X Maximize (green button like I do with XP), but all resolutions require me to scroll up and down to see the various parts of the screen.

Is there any way to get 7 to look like XP so I can use it in Spaces?
How do I get Install Guest Additions to work, assuming that the issue will be resolved once I use it?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Win 7 screen resolution

Post by Perryg »

I have noticed that at times in some operating systems that the install guest additions will not work no matter what you do. I figured out that the CD/DVD had captured and would not release the install copy from memory. If you look the CD/DVD will show as mounted. Click unmount and then look again. If it shows unmounted then click on install guest additions and it should autostart the installation.
Haroldo
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP Pro

Post by Haroldo »

You're a genius....you should work for NASA!
Perfect answer!
Thanks!
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Who's to say I don't? :mrgreen:

Glad it worked for you!