Strange Bridged Networking problem

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
michaelbirdtx
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 2003, Ubuntu 9.04

Strange Bridged Networking problem

Post by michaelbirdtx »

Here's my setup:

Mac Pro with Mac OS X 10.5.7
Ethernet connection to Apple Airport Extreme router
VB 2.2.4

Guest OSes:

Windows XP SP3
Windows 2003 SP2
Ubuntu 9.04

Here's the problem: In all of these guest OSes, when I set the network adapter in VB to use Bridged Networking, I have problems with internet access. For some reason, I can browse all of Google's sites, but so far no other site I have tried to browse is reachable. Internet is working fine in NAT mode, and is working fine with all my physical computers and also in Parallels using its Bridged Networking mode.

I've tried using DHCP from the Airport Extreme, I get an IP and DNS with no problem. I've also tried setting everything statically. In either case, I get the internet access problem. The DNS is resolving properly, I can ping any url, just can't browse to anything other than google.

I've tried multiple browsers (IE7, Safari in WinXP, IE8 in Win2003, Firefox 3 in Ubuntu), same results. Firewalls are turned off.

Any ideas?
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Strange Bridged Networking problem

Post by Perryg »

Still it sounds like a DNS problem. If you cannot ping yahoo.com but you can ping 209.191.93.53 it must be DNS. You can try to set the dns in the guest to resolve from another DNS server to see if it works like freedns.com.
michaelbirdtx

Post by michaelbirdtx »

As I said in the original post, DNS is working. I can ping any URL, just can't browse to it.
michaelbirdtx

Post by michaelbirdtx »

Also, FYI, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling VBox, no change. This was also happening in VBox v 2.2.2 before I uninstalled it and installed v2.2.4.
bsawyer85
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Server 2003, Server 2008

Post by bsawyer85 »

I am experiencing this same issue as well. Here are some more details:

Host:
Intel Dual Quad-Core Xeon Mac Pro
10.5.7 (fully updated)
VBox v2.2.4

Guest OS:
Windows XP Pro x86 MSDN
SP-2 (updated to SP-3)

Details of issues:
As michaelbirdtx said, this is clearly not a DNS issue. I can perform nslookups, and pings against domain names. DNS resolves fine, however the only site I seem to be able to talk to is google. I can ping it succesfully (all other domains resolve to an IP when pinged, but timeout), and I am able to perform searches. This issue does not affect NAT mode. If I change the adapter mode to NAT, everything works fine. Unfortunately NAT is not OK for the environment I'm attempting to create.

Some details about my host's network setup:
2 different networks connected to en0 and en1 (already tried turning the second interface off).
Both IPs assigned via DHCP.
10.x.x.x net on en0 (internet interface).
192.168.x.x net on en1 (isolated private network).

Any help or further info on this issue would be much appreciated

Thanks
bsawyer85
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Server 2003, Server 2008

Post by bsawyer85 »

Another note:

This only seems to affect the PCNet-FAST III adapter type. I switched over to the Intel Pro 1000 MT device and the issue was gone. This is my fix, but I believe the issues with the PCNet-FAST III adapter should be bugged. I know it sounds crazy, wouldn't have believed it either if it hadn't happened to me as well, but it's true.

Also, a note for michael. Switching to the Intel adapter should fix your issue, you do need to install the drives for it though (download from Intel website). They aren't part of the guest add-ons install