Mac hard freezes when trying to boot from a CD/DVD

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
spaaarky21
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Mac hard freezes when trying to boot from a CD/DVD

Post by spaaarky21 »

I have a Norton Ghost backup of an old NTFS drive that I would like to load onto a drive in VirtualBox. So, I created a 60GB disk in the Virtual Media Manager, added it to the virtual machine and mounted a Ghost startup disc (DVD) to boot from. However, as soon as VirtualBox gets past the BIOS screen, my computer (the host, not the Windows VM) freezes up. The screen grays out and a box pops up saying that the computer needs to be restarted by holding the power button. When the computer restarts, OS X's crash report talks about a kernel panic regarding the controller... IDE, I assume. I tried running the VM with each of the different IDE Controller Types and my computer froze each time. Any ideas?

-Brandon
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Re: Mac hard freezes when trying to boot from a CD/DVD

Post by vbox4me2 »

What if you make an ISO from the dvd and mount that?
spaaarky21
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Re: Mac hard freezes when trying to boot from a CD/DVD

Post by spaaarky21 »

vbox4me2 wrote:What if you make an ISO from the dvd and mount that?
Yeah, I just tried that and it worked. I'm still curious why booting from the physical disc caused the host machine to "hard freeze." I've had similar problems when trying to start a second VM when one is already running. That time, the crash report had to do with the host's hardware virtualization extensions. I've almost never seen my Mac crash... except when running VirtualBox.