What key-combination is the 'Windows' key

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
mwnorman

What key-combination is the 'Windows' key

Post by mwnorman »

Vbox 2.2.2 on MacOS 10.5.6 (32bit Intel Core 2 Duo) - guest is WinXP SP3

i) what key-combination is the 'Windows' key?

ii) Network: when it was NAT, the WinXP guest got assigned a 10.n.n.n IP which won't work for my
home lan (192.168.n.n) I switch to 'native' and the guest XP picked up a DHCP assignment from
my LinkSys router. I can 'see' the (WORGROUP) Windows share, but I can't write to them

Any help/hints/tips-&-tricks would be appreciated,

Mike
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: What key-combination is the 'Windows' key

Post by Perryg »

Forum Initial response:
  • While you are waiting for a reply to this post you can do a search on Google.com using your search key words and followed with site:forums.virtualbox.org
    example -- USB not working site:forums.virtualbox.org
mwnorman

Post by mwnorman »

Thanks for the advice, but neither a search thru the Virtualbox documentation nor Google searches limited
to this site have produced the answer!
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

mwnorman wrote:Vbox 2.2.2 on MacOS 10.5.6 (32bit Intel Core 2 Duo) - guest is WinXP SP3

i) what key-combination is the 'Windows' key?

ii) Network: when it was NAT, the WinXP guest got assigned a 10.n.n.n IP which won't work for my
home lan (192.168.n.n) I switch to 'native' and the guest XP picked up a DHCP assignment from
my LinkSys router. I can 'see' the (WORGROUP) Windows share, but I can't write to them

For (1) If you are talking about the HOST key it is the right Ctrl key (which I understand MAC does not have). You will need to go into the VBox preference and change it to the left Ctrl key or what ever you need)

For (2) use bridged mode.
mwnorman

Post by mwnorman »

i) The HOST key works fine (right-Apple-'clover'-key) - my problem is inside the WinXP guest, what key combination
is the 'Windows' key?

ii) I'm using 'bridged' right now - the shares show up and reading works, I just can't write anything back.
Perryg
Site Moderator

Post by Perryg »

Ctl + Esc
baf
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: linux,xp,win7

Post by baf »

mwnorman wrote:i) The HOST key works fine (right-Apple-'clover'-key) - my problem is inside the WinXP guest, what key combination
is the 'Windows' key?

ii) I'm using 'bridged' right now - the shares show up and reading works, I just can't write anything back.
for i) either ctrl-esc or left-Apple-'clover'-key

for ii) if you can read them then it is a configuration problem with the share. Are you logged on ? Is the share ever allowing write?
Some say: "You learn as long as you live".
My way: "You live as long as you learn".
l:x

Post by l:x »

baf wrote: for i) either ctrl-esc or left-Apple-'clover'-key

for ii) if you can read them then it is a configuration problem with the share. Are you logged on ? Is the share ever allowing write?
Small remark: CTRL+Esc brings up the Start-menu, but is not usable in combination with other keys for shortcuts (like Win + E = Explorer).
Left-Apple-key doesn't do it for me, but the right one works. So Right-Apple-key + E brings up Explorer.

Cheers,
l:x