[Solved] Syncing with iPod on Win7 guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
calibre97
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Ultimate

[Solved] Syncing with iPod on Win7 guest

Post by calibre97 »

I have an iPod with eWallet on it that I'd like to sync with eWallet running on Win7 as a guest. I've connected my U3-enabled 16GB Cruzer USB stick so I can run eWallet via U3 for adding/editing entries. Problem is, you can't sync with the U3 version of eWallet. So, I'd like to be able to add/edit items to the U3 eWallet and then open my wallet with the desktop version of eWallet and sync with my iPod. Win7 can see my iPod via the USB connection, but Bonjour isn't able to see it within eWallet when I try to add the iPod as a sync item.

I'm currently using NAT for networking with Win7. If I try Host-only, I get no Internet access so I don't think that's an option for me here (another post elsewhere states to try Host only to get Bonjour printing to work).

Anyone have any luck with syncing over the air with an iPod via Bonjour in a Windows guest? I only need it to sync within Windows because eWallet is a (for now) Windows-only application.
calibre97
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Ultimate

Re: Syncing with iPod on Win7 guest

Post by calibre97 »

SOLVED!!!!

OK, so, obviously it wasn't working because I was NAT'd over ethernet in the guest. Derr. iPod syncs wirelessly. So I click Settings for my Win7 guest, and then Network, and then Adapter 2. This time I select Attached to: Bridged Adapter and the name is en1:AirPort (this was discovered or available as an option).

I then fired up the guest OS and...oh yeah, slight wrinkle. Every time I start the OS I have to disengage the USB stick under Mac OS and reinsert it with Win7 running to see it. Oh well. Slightly annoying but it's a simple workaround....anyway, where was I? Oh yeah, so I have Win7 running, the USB stick connected and recognised, so I start eWallet (desktop) and open the wallet on the USB stick and then start the sync process on the iPod and start it in eWallet desktop and voila! There's the iPod. eWallet iPod provides a code that I type into eWallet desktop and Bob's yer uncle: they sync.

This. is. awesome.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Re: Syncing with iPod on Win7 guest

Post by Perryg »

Great. I will change the subject line to [Solved] then everyone will be able to find the solution.