New VB user - updating and add storage space question!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Geophis
Primary OS: Other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP Pro

New VB user - updating and add storage space question!

Post by Geophis »

Hi guys! I'm a new virtual box user, I'm running version 2.1.4, Host OS: Leopard and Guest OS: Windows xp pro, on a Macbook unibody 13,3'' @2.0Ghz, 2Gb ram.
I'm enjoying a lot using virtualization. I found setup and general software design very intuitive although I still have some questions, how do I update my current Virtualbox 2.1.4 installation without losing my guest operating system setup? Also, I setup my guest OS with dynamic virtual disk size (starting at 2gb of virtual disk space) but I reached it's maximum capacity, and it doesn't seem to be adding any more space to the virtual disk!? How do I get add more space to it?

Best regards,

Diogo Carvalho
vbox4me2
Volunteer

Re: New VB user - updating and add storage space question!

Post by vbox4me2 »

Read the Manual and then the FAQ's, its all in there.
Geophis

Post by Geophis »

I did search before resorting to this forum, I'm not fond of asking question to witch I can answer for my self. But after searching in this forum, faqs and manual I still can't get an answer. Maybe I'm doing a poor job at it, could anyone be so kind and point me out in the right direction?

Many thanks,

Diogo Carvalho
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Updating is as simple as running the new install then after it is installed you simply need to install the new guest additions.
Your other problem however is a lot harder. You fell into the same pit that almost everyone else does. You needed to set it to a higher number. I usually set it to 30 gig. Being dynamic it will grow to that point and no more. You can go here http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 9276#29276 and see how to increase the size but if you have nothing on the guest a reload for newer people can be a better avenue. Or you can try the resize and if it fails you will have learned more about virtualization.
Geophis

Post by Geophis »

Perryg wrote:Updating is as simple as running the new install then after it is installed you simply need to install the new guest additions.
Your other problem however is a lot harder. You fell into the same pit that almost everyone else does. You needed to set it to a higher number. I usually set it to 30 gig. Being dynamic it will grow to that point and no more. You can go here http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 9276#29276 and see how to increase the size but if you have nothing on the guest a reload for newer people can be a better avenue. Or you can try the resize and if it fails you will have learned more about virtualization.
Perryg,

Thanks for the input! Updating is as simple as that! Great.
So I misunderstood the dynamic disk space behavior. If you set it to the maximum size of 30gb for example, were I'll the size value start?

Thanks again,

Diogo Carvalho
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

It will start at what ever the install is. Only uses as much as it needs until you hit the Max.