Issues with bridged networking and multiple vbox using 2.2

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
scotta
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Debian

Issues with bridged networking and multiple vbox using 2.2

Post by scotta »

Hi All,

I happily switched to virtualbox a while ago because I really needed the ability to use the 'host-interface' functionality with by virtual boxes. This allowed me to set up an arbitrary interface in OS X, for which I used en2, and then I attached multiple virtual boxes via the host-interface tied to en2.

For sake of example, In System Prefs I added en2 as 192.168.165.1. I then created multiple virtual boxes in the same subnet, tied to host interface en2, such as 192.168.165.5, 192.168.165.10 etc. This allowed me to do tcpdumps, as well as utilize s/w for sending directly from my Mac to the interfaces of my virtual boxes. This was brilliant for me, never mind the fact that the performance with virtual box is fantastic!

Anyway, upgrading to 2.2 broke this for me. I finally managed (after fiddling and modifying the xml) to get the bridged mode set up to en2. Trouble is, I can now only start *one* virtual box at a time that are bridged to en2, otherwise I get an error indicating that the device is busy:

Failed to open/create the internal network

VERR_INTNET_FLT_IF_BUSY

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Console
Interface:
IConsole {9511bc54-15ee-4ddf-808e-472aba03809c}

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. I read the manual and it seemed to indicate that this functionality hasn't changed in a bit, but was just a new interface:

"Bridged network was formerly called “Host Interface Networking” and has been renamed with version
2.2 without any change in functionality."

Doesn't appear as such to me :(

Thx!