Setting up Virtual Hard Disk

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
sg_designs
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win XP Home Edition SP2

Setting up Virtual Hard Disk

Post by sg_designs »

Ok so I am very new to virtual machines and had a few questions about setup...

I am using a Mac with Leopard OS and wanting to install Win XP Home Edition SP2. Im at the screen where is talks about the Virtual Hard Disk. What do you recommend for this setup? Should I select 'New' or 'Exisiting'? I really don't know what to do. With my Mac computer I have a LaCie external hard drive...should I set it up to have stuff saved there? or on the main internal hard drive? Please help. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

-Seth-
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Re: Setting up Virtual Hard Disk

Post by TerryE »

"Existing" is just that -- you use it when you are attaching a Virtual Disk that you've already created. If you are doing a new install and want to use a new blank disk then select "New".

If you have space on the main HDD then use it. The I/O rates to the VDs can be quite high: the fixed disk is usually faster and the link more reliable than that to an external HDD.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
sg_designs
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win XP Home Edition SP2

Re: Setting up Virtual Hard Disk

Post by sg_designs »

ok, well maybe i should have waited. I went ahead and did all the setup last night because i was anxious to use it. So i didnt read your response til now.

Im not quit sure what I did (whether i click new or existing) but my .vdi file is on my external harddrive. I think i clicked existing and the clicked new under HardDisks. and the other stuff is under( i think) Users>Seth>Library>VirtualBox>(inside here is a folder called machines, and some other files).

Sorry if this is real confusing but are you able to tell if its setup ok..should i change the location of the .vdi file if possible? I apologize for the newbie-ness. i know pretty much nothing when it comes to partitioning and what not