Online Gaming Help

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
hogyoku

Online Gaming Help

Post by hogyoku »

Hello,

I recently downloaded and installed VirtualBox onto my Mac OSX with Leopard today. I had some troubles initially with the installing of my guest, Windows XP, but I eventually worked it all out. Now, the whole reason I wanted to use VirtualBox was so that I could download MMORPGs and play online games. Once I was using Windows XP with VirtualBox, I downloaded and installed an online game called Neo Steam. It downloaded and installed just fine. Once I tried to start the game though, Windows XP gave me a blue screen with quite a lot of text on it for about the blink of an eye before restarting back to normal. I've already posted on the game board hoping that it's a problem at their end, but I have a feeling it's not. Any advice or help would be appreciated. I can supply more information if needed.

Thank you.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Re: Online Gaming Help

Post by Sasquatch »

Check http://neosteam.gamigo.com/support/support2/ where it states you need DirectX. VB does not provide that, only experimental OpenGL.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
hogyoku

Post by hogyoku »

I've installed DirectX now and it still is shutting down. Thanks for trying. Does anyone else have any ideas?
macvboxuser09

Post by macvboxuser09 »

I think he means that because the games you want to play REQUIRE DirectX you can't run them at all. Even if you download the DirectX software, the Virtual Box itself is not able to talk to your host computer's graphic hardware using Direct X.

I've had the same problem, trying to setup up an Age of Empires game. (Running Vbox on Mac).

I'm thinking there might be a way to make the game play in OpenGL, the video acceleration that is supported with Virtual Box. I'll get back to you if I find something!
Entegy
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 x64, XP SP3, Server 2008 R2, Fedora 13 x86/x64

Post by Entegy »

DirectX is not supported in virtual machines. Make a Boot Camp partition and use that for games.
ajmas
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu

Post by ajmas »

If you look in the "windows guests" forum there is a thread on how to install WineD3D. It should be noted that like OpenGL support, on which it depends, it is a work in progress. This means that some stuff may run and dome stuff may not.
VB version: 6.x Primary OS: MacOS X 11.0.1 on Intel Mac