Audio CDs are not recognized in Windows guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
wdonne

Re: Audio CDs are not recognized in Windows guest

Post by wdonne »

With the standard earbuds that come with the player you wouldn't here the difference, but with
better headphones you would here it in the high tones depending on the kind of music. A classic
piece with just one instrument, for example, would be most sensitive to the quality. At the time
I took a short fragment from such a piece and encoded it with different codecs and bit rates.
Then I put them after one another, including the original sample. Surely, only in the best of circumstances
you can hear it and most of the time you're not in the best circumstances but sometimes you are. I just
wanted to make the right choice before starting to rip over 400 CDs.

Having switched to a Mac recently, I would like to stick to that choice if it is possible. For all the other
stuff the switch went quite well and I'm very pleased with VirtualBox. There are just two issues left, one of
which is this one.
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

So you really should post this to the public bugtracker.
ataraxia

Post by ataraxia »

I'm also having this problem, with a Linux guest. I replied to the bug created by wdonne, #3494.
hidannik
Primary OS: Ubuntu 8.04
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP Home SP3

Post by hidannik »

As of version 3.1.2, VirtualBox does not support audio CDs. From section 5.7 of the user manual:
In any case, only data media is supported for CD/DVD drives. This means that all data CD formats and all DVD formats can be used in principle. Since host DVD drives refuse to read encrypted DVD video media, you cannot play such videos with the regular CD/DVD drive emulation. You may be able to get it working with the experimental passthrough support described in Section 5.8, “Writing CDs and DVDs using the host drive”. Audio CD and video CD formats are not supported, which means you cannot play such media from a virtual machine. [emphasis mine]
I suggest using VMWare Server (1.0.x) instead, it has pretty good support for this stuff. Unfortunately, its performance is slower, and Windows guests crash when USB 2.0 devices are plugged in, unless you turn off USB 2.0 support in your BIOS.

Hans Dannik
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

I heard from many people that it should be possible to play audio on the host directly. Check it, even the sound quality is better.
jonnybiggs69
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: XP Pro SP2

Post by jonnybiggs69 »

Hi to all inthe forums,
New to VirtualBox and was really happy with it until I discovered this missing bit of operability...
I was using VMWare Player for quite a while but was fighting with it regularly to maintain audio output from the guest and it annoys me that it runs 3+ processes in the background regardless of whether the program is runnign or not. sysconfig etc didn't seem to help.
I am using multi-media editing software in the guest on my VirtualBox machine and want to be able to access audio CD's and DVD's
Please, can this be added! :?: