Webcam not working in windows xp guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Nacron

Webcam not working in windows xp guest

Post by Nacron »

Hi,
I installed Virtualbox and Windows XP on a client's Mac Mini Duo Core tonight. The reason for him wanting windows on his Mac was that a video chat application only works on Windows and he would like to have it on his computer. I set up the USB with virtual box and windows recognized and installed the webcam (Logitech Quickcam Communicate Deluxe S7500) but for some reason when you turn it on there is no video. The LED on the camera lights up like it's on but no video is fed to the chat app, the logitech app or the windows webcam app in explorer. I updated the drivers for the camera but it still didn't work. Does anyone else have this problem? Could it be because I don't have windows XP SP3 installed?

Thanks in advanced.
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

The webcam might be using DirectX-3D to accelerate the integration of the video feed onto the XP desktop. Have a look at the installation prerequisites for the application. Often these specify minimum installation reqs that the VM might not offer. You might be able to tweak the graphics settings to get this to work, or you might see if the application can run over the OpenGL interface.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.