XPsp3, from .vhd, startup failure

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
phiw13
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Ubuntu, Windows XP and Windows 7

XPsp3, from .vhd, startup failure

Post by phiw13 »

VirtualBox 2.1.2, running on OS X 10.5.6.

I downloaded the test images from the Microsoft site (in VirtualPC format, .vhd) and proceeded to set up a VM with VirtualBox 2.1.2.
In the wizard, I selected the .vhd file as Boot Hard Disk (button: 'existing'). So far so good.

The VM stats, Win XP starts up (progressbar with butterfly logo), briefly a wallpaper image appears, then very briefly a blue screen with some message. I do not have the time to read the message, the system proceeds immediately to start up again. And it stays in that loop until I click the close window button (--> shut down signal).

(I have Ubuntu Linux and Windows7 beta running just fine).

Any idea what might be going wrong ?

* I also tried to convert the .vhd file to a vdi file from the command line, but that only led to 'Cannot find bootable drive).
deschnell

Post by deschnell »

Same for me - except that I couldn't even get into a login/welcome/desktop.

I'm guessing maybe MS did something so it only works on VPC?

Win7b runs ok for me too.
phiw13
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Ubuntu, Windows XP and Windows 7

Post by phiw13 »

Success ! (sort of). But only partly. The OS works, I managed to install the Guest Additions. The one big problem: there is no network, that is, I cannot connect to the internet (which is the whole purpose of installing that thing - testing sites with win IE).
Despite reading the manual and browsing through the forums here, I've no idea how to fix this.

I managed to get XP to start up correctly by changing some settings from the default: enabling VT-x/AMD-V.
But now Xp complains about missing drivers (network, and wants to install some 'battery' file. Not sure about the name of it.). And as said, I cannot connect to the internet.