2.1.2 Installation Error (Kernel Extensions)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
effzehn

2.1.2 Installation Error (Kernel Extensions)

Post by effzehn »

Dear Community,

Near the end of the installation procedure of VB 2.1.2 I always encounter the message that VB installation failed since "run postflight script for Sun xVM VirtualBox Kernel Extensions" did not work. I tried to downgrade to 2.1 but then VB messages me a format error (I already accepted the upgrade of the configuration files when starting 2.1.2, but I cannot run any VM because the VB support driver is running from a different version of VB, which I suppose is connected to the incomplete installation of 2.1.2).

Any help appreciated. I guess there must be a way to manually run the named script somehow.

Cheers
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

Have you let run the VirtualBox_Uninstall.Tool provided with the installation-package before you installed the new version?
effzehn

Post by effzehn »

Originally not. I just tried it and the script gives me an error message:

kextunload: unload id org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB failed (result code 0xdc004002)
An error occured durning 'sudo /sbin/kextunload -m org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxUSB', there should be a message above. (rc=1)
unloading org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv
kextunload: unload id org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv failed (result code 0xe00002c7)
An error occured durning 'sudo /sbin/kextunload -m org.virtualbox.kext.VBoxDrv', there should be a message above. (rc=1)
Failed to unload on or more KEXTs, please reboot the machine to complete the uninstall.
Done.
EDIT: All right, after restarting and reinstallation it seems to work just fine. Thanks for the tip.