Using WD MyBook with Windows XP guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
sknick

Using WD MyBook with Windows XP guest

Post by sknick »

I am trying to attach my external drive (WD MyBook 750GB) to my Windows XP Pro host. The drive is partitioned with 350GB HFS+ and 350GB NTFS.

I set up a USB device filter for the drive. When I start the VM, no new hardware is detected. I have an unknown "PCI device" in device manager. I can attach my iPod, so I know that the USB system is working on the guest.

This is the error I am getting:

USB device 'Western Digital My Book' with UUID {89f5484b-9b34-4dc1-b623-5173a673f19b} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_INVALID_ARG (0x80070057)
Component:
HostUSBDevice
Interface:
IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
tkwm
Volunteer

Post by tkwm »

As far as I know, raw hd access is not possible with vbox-mac.

There are several workarounds:

1. Delete the NTFS-Partition, format it with hfs+ and use this partition for an additional virtual disk.
or
2. Reformat the ntfs-patition as fat32, and use this partition as shared folder. Yes, there is no ntfs-user-management with fat32.
or
3. Use something like fuse-g3 (free) or Paragon-Ntfs-driver (commercial, but inexpensive, 29Euros or so) to make the ntfs-partition visible to the mac-os. Then use it as shared-folder from within vbox.

Maybe you are able to use the ntfs-partition under vbox, by dismounting it first under mac-os, start vbox and then try to mount it from within vbox.