Italian keyboard problems

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.

Italian keyboard problems

Postby passegua » 17. Jan 2009, 13:31

Using Ubuntu 8.1 on a iMac, the keyboard works well for almost all the keys but I cannot use the euro symbol neither the @ symbol (I copy - pasted this one).

I tried changing many keyboard models in preferences settings.

Anybody could type @ or euro using Ubuntu on a iMAC? How?

Thanks.
passegua
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 15. Jan 2009, 23:05

Postby baf » 17. Jan 2009, 13:50

I don't know the italian keymap so,
what do you normally press to get these?
Some say: "You learn as long as you live".
My way: "You live as long as you learn".
baf
Volunteer
 
Posts: 829
Joined: 27. Sep 2008, 06:18
Location: Luleå or Skellefteå, Sweden
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: linux,xp,win7

Postby passegua » 17. Jan 2009, 13:56

baf wrote:I don't know the italian keymap so,
what do you normally press to get these?


I use alt + E to get the euro symbol and alt + ò to get the @
I can use both the left alt key or the right alt key on my iMAC keyboard.

So it seems that the "alt" key is not recognized on Ubuntu under iMAC os.

thanks.
passegua
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 15. Jan 2009, 23:05

Postby baf » 17. Jan 2009, 17:20

try this:
edit /etc/default/console-setup
add
lv3:lalt_switch
to XKBOPTIONS=
line
If its empty before it would become
XKBOPTIONS="lv3:lalt_switch"
otherwise something like (this is mine)
XKBOPTIONS="altwin:swap_lalt_lwin,lv3:lalt_switch,apple:badmap"

reboot and test.
you should now use left command/apple key instead of alt
Good Luck
Some say: "You learn as long as you live".
My way: "You live as long as you learn".
baf
Volunteer
 
Posts: 829
Joined: 27. Sep 2008, 06:18
Location: Luleå or Skellefteå, Sweden
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: linux,xp,win7

Postby passegua » 17. Jan 2009, 19:11

baf wrote:try this:
edit /etc/default/console-setup
add
lv3:lalt_switch
to XKBOPTIONS=
line
If its empty before it would become
XKBOPTIONS="lv3:lalt_switch"
otherwise something like (this is mine)
XKBOPTIONS="altwin:swap_lalt_lwin,lv3:lalt_switch,apple:badmap"

reboot and test.
you should now use left command/apple key instead of alt
Good Luck

òàòòàòùàùàòòàò
I tried both suggestions, no change :-(
thanks
passegua
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 15. Jan 2009, 23:05

Postby baf » 17. Jan 2009, 20:16

Could you post the output from:
setxkbmap -print
So I can see if it reads it at all.

Also try this line in X
setxkbmap it -option -option altwin:swap_lalt_lwin -option lv3:lalt_switch
Some say: "You learn as long as you live".
My way: "You live as long as you learn".
baf
Volunteer
 
Posts: 829
Joined: 27. Sep 2008, 06:18
Location: Luleå or Skellefteå, Sweden
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: linux,xp,win7

Postby passegua » 17. Jan 2009, 21:37

baf wrote:Could you post the output from:
setxkbmap -print
So I can see if it reads it at all.

Also try this line in X
setxkbmap it -option -option altwin:swap_lalt_lwin -option lv3:lalt_switch


here'e the output:

xkb_keymap {
xkb_keycodes { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
xkb_types { include "complete" };
xkb_compat { include "complete" };
xkb_symbols { include "pc+it+inet(evdev)+level3(ralt_switch_for_alts_toggle)+group(alts_toggle)" };
xkb_geometry { include "pc(pc104)" };
};

moreover I tried that line without any improvement.
passegua
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 15. Jan 2009, 23:05

Postby laptop-power-battery » 18. Jan 2009, 17:58

laptop-power-battery
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 18. Jan 2009, 17:54

Postby passegua » 19. Jan 2009, 19:32

laptop-power-battery wrote:HP F2193 laptop battery


please keep spammers at bay !

Thanks, still waiting how type @ on
iMAC 20", virtualbox 2.1.0 e Ubuntu 8.1

Many thanks
passegua
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 15. Jan 2009, 23:05

Italian keyboard problems SOLVED !

Postby passegua » 19. Jan 2009, 21:17

baf wrote:Could you post the output from:
setxkbmap -print
So I can see if it reads it at all.

Also try this line in X
setxkbmap it -option -option altwin:swap_lalt_lwin -option lv3:lalt_switch


SOLVED !!!

I solved reading carefully the help file.
Open System - \preferences -keyboard-disposition- other options and set third level keys.
I quote from italian Ubuntu , now I can type @ and € !!!!!
best regards
passegua
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 15. Jan 2009, 23:05

Re: Italian keyboard problems SOLVED !

Postby T3ch » 30. Jan 2009, 16:43

passegua wrote:SOLVED !!!

I solved reading carefully the help file.
Open System - \preferences -keyboard-disposition- other options and set third level keys.
I quote from italian Ubuntu , now I can type @ and € !!!!!
best regards


Hi,
if I haven't a desktop environment (KDE, gnome, ecc), how can I setup " third level keys"?

Thank you
T3ch
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 16. Jun 2008, 15:04

Re: Italian keyboard problems SOLVED !

Postby passegua » 30. Jan 2009, 19:59

T3ch wrote:
passegua wrote:SOLVED !!!

I solved reading carefully the help file.
Open System - \preferences -keyboard-disposition- other options and set third level keys.
I quote from italian Ubuntu , now I can type @ and € !!!!!
best regards


Hi,
if I haven't a desktop environment (KDE, gnome, ecc), how can I setup " third level keys"?

Thank you


I don't have any desktop environment. I clic on system, preferences, keyboard.
then I choose the second tab: disposition and other options, there I find the third level
hi
passegua
 
Posts: 33
Joined: 15. Jan 2009, 23:05

Re: Italian keyboard problems SOLVED !

Postby T3ch » 11. Feb 2009, 14:02

passegua wrote:
T3ch wrote:Hi,
if I haven't a desktop environment (KDE, gnome, ecc), how can I setup " third level keys"?

Thank you


I don't have any desktop environment. I clic on system, preferences, keyboard.
then I choose the second tab: disposition and other options, there I find the third level
hi


sorry, but if you do not have a desktop environment (eg kde, gnome, xfc, etc) how can you click on a preference?
If you have a text-only system, you can not click on preference because there is nothing on which to click.

Can someone help me configure the keyboard to manage keys as € @ on a Linux guest that does not have a desktop environment but only the bash?
T3ch
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 16. Jun 2008, 15:04

Postby baf » 11. Feb 2009, 14:12

Do you have a file /etc/default/console-setup ?
If so post the lines that start with X here.
(Mine looks like this).

# The following variables describe your keyboard and can have the same
# values as the XkbModel, XkbLayout, XkbVariant and XkbOptions options
# in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="se"
XKBVARIANT="mac"
#XKBOPTIONS="lv3:lwin_switch,apple:badmap,altwin:swap_lalt_lwin"
#XKBOPTIONS="altwin:swap_lalt_lwin,lv3:lalt_switch"
XKBOPTIONS="altwin:swap_lalt_lwin,lv3:lalt_switch,apple:badmap"
Some say: "You learn as long as you live".
My way: "You live as long as you learn".
baf
Volunteer
 
Posts: 829
Joined: 27. Sep 2008, 06:18
Location: Luleå or Skellefteå, Sweden
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: linux,xp,win7

Postby T3ch » 11. Feb 2009, 15:00

baf wrote:Do you have a file /etc/default/console-setup ?
If so post the lines that start with X here.


thank you baf I have found a solution. I have installed a console-setup package and I have configured it.

Thank you very much
T3ch
 
Posts: 4
Joined: 16. Jun 2008, 15:04

Next

Return to VirtualBox on Mac OS X Hosts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: fth0 and 16 guests