Screen Resolution...Fedora problem or Virtual Box?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
wxie

Screen Resolution...Fedora problem or Virtual Box?

Post by wxie »

Hello. I'm Walt, and I'm new to Linux. I decided to play around with Fedora 9 via Virtual Box, and it went fine with the installation, until I got to the desktop of Fedora.

[Image

As you can see, this represents a large Virtual Box window, with a large Fedora screen resolution inside. I don't know how to size it down, and I even went inside Fedora's Display, but it said the resolution was "640x480", or something like that. It was the smallest screen size, and the Virtual Box Adjust Window Option didn't work either. Please help!
baf
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: linux,xp,win7

Post by baf »

Have you installed the guest additions ?
Some say: "You learn as long as you live".
My way: "You live as long as you learn".
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

baf wrote:Have you installed the guest additions ?
that won't help as A) guest additions for linux are broken in 2.1.0, and B) they never worked for fedora9 anyway due to wrong version of xorg.
esmail9

Post by esmail9 »

sej7278 wrote:
baf wrote:Have you installed the guest additions ?
that won't help as A) guest additions for linux are broken in 2.1.0,
Can you elaborate?

I am struggling with getting Ubuntu 8.10 to work as a guest under XP.
Right after I installed it and the guest addition the graphics worked well, ie if I resized the VB window, the Linux window also resized. However, now it's not working, I get:

(EE) VBoxVideo(0): Output VBOX1 enabled but has no modes
(EE) VBoxVideo(0): initial CRTC configuration failed!
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

and it boots in failsafe mode.

I suspect I may have a problem with the Driver entry in my xorg.conf.

Do I have to have something special here since it's running in a VB/VM?

This is on a MSI Wind. I tought the driver is an Intel 945 GME, but lspci | grep -i vga reports InnoTek.

Any suggestions?
sej7278
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
Guest OSses: Solaris, Linux, Windows, OS/2, MacOSX, FreeBSD

Post by sej7278 »

esmail9 wrote:Any suggestions?
Wait for 2.1.2 for the fix, or make Linux your host and put Windows as the guest.
esmail9

Post by esmail9 »

sej7278 wrote:
esmail9 wrote:Any suggestions?
Wait for 2.1.2 for the fix,
What's puzzling is that I have been able to install VB w/ Ubuntu 8.10 under XP on 3 other machines w/o any problems - all different machines from each other.

Is there something specific that is "broken" in 2.1.10 - I was hoping for some additional information regarding this. Does it not work with specific versions of Windows/XP/Hardware/etc?
or make Linux your host and put Windows as the guest.
Well that's hardly trivial nor a practical solution ... I'd rather just tweak a setting if that's possible :-)
wplj42

Screen Resolution

Post by wplj42 »

I have a 20" iMac from late 2007 with OS X 10.5.6 and Virtual Box 2.1.0. I set up Fedora 10 and can't get the resolution past 800 x 600. Same thing happens with Ubuntu 8.10. Freespire lets me run at 1024 x 768. Also, the Guest Additions will not work, at least not for me. I am not all that familiar with Linux. I have tried both Parallels and VWare Fusion. They allow for changes to the screen resolution, but my Mac mouse pointer remains on the screen. I like Virtual Box the most, but can't get the screen resolution to change. I've downloaded all the updates for Ubuntu and Fedora. Nothing helps. I B stumped.
passegua

Re: Screen Resolution

Post by passegua »

wplj42 wrote:I have a 20" iMac from late 2007 with OS X 10.5.6 and Virtual Box 2.1.0. I set up Fedora 10 and can't get the resolution past 800 x 600. Same thing happens with Ubuntu 8.10. Freespire lets me run at 1024 x 768. Also, the Guest Additions will not work, at least not for me. I am not all that familiar with Linux. I have tried both Parallels and VWare Fusion. They allow for changes to the screen resolution, but my Mac mouse pointer remains on the screen. I like Virtual Box the most, but can't get the screen resolution to change. I've downloaded all the updates for Ubuntu and Fedora. Nothing helps. I B stumped.
Exactly the same situation, iMac 20" and a small Ubuntu 800x600 window, any way to enlarge it?
Thanks
bill_mcgonigle

Post by bill_mcgonigle »

Fedora 10, VB 2.1.2, Guest Additions - working as expected for me (Macbook Pro 2.16)