Problem with VHD Support

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Tarquinio

Problem with VHD Support

Post by Tarquinio »

Hey guys.

I have a problem with the vhd support. After downloading the Internet Explorer Application Compatibility VPC Image i tried to start the .vhd file from the .exe file. Now i try to import the .vhd file into VirtualBox but i always get this error:
Could not open the hard disk '/Users/benjamin/Documents/VirtualBoxes/IE8aufXPSP3.vhd'.
VDI: invalid pre-header in '/Users/benjamin/Documents/VirtualBoxes/IE8aufXPSP3.vhd' (VERR_VD_VDI_INVALID_SIGNATURE).
VD: error opening image file '/Users/benjamin/Documents/VirtualBoxes/IE8aufXPSP3.vhd' (VERR_VD_VDI_INVALID_SIGNATURE).

Fehlercode:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Komponente:
HardDisk2
Interface:
IHardDisk2 {ed6e2525-c2fd-42a4-917a-7a9045ac9e15}
Callee:
IVirtualBox {339abca2-f47a-4302-87f5-7bc324e6bbde}
Can you help me? Sorry for my bad english ;)
artiflo

Post by artiflo »

Hello,

When I try to import my own vhd, I have exactly the same error.

I use Vista SP1 french and VirtualBox 2.1.0.

An Idea ?
Ruth

Post by Ruth »

I can confirm that: Get the same error message like Tarquinio, when I try to open a Vista VHD (downloaded form the MS website), though I am using VISTA as host system ...
jeffcouturier

Post by jeffcouturier »

Confirming this as well. Version 2.0.6 works just fine, but version 2.1.0 will not run the MS compatibility images.
Could not open the hard disk ‘/Users/hsukenooi/Desktop/IE7-XPSP3_VPC.exe/XP SP3 with IE7.vhd’.
VDI: invalid pre-header in ‘/Users/hsukenooi/Desktop/IE7-XPSP3_VPC.exe/XP SP3 with IE7.vhd’ (VERR_VD_VDI_INVALID_SIGNATURE).
VD: error opening image file ‘/Users/hsukenooi/Desktop/IE7-XPSP3_VPC.exe/XP SP3 with IE7.vhd’ (VERR_VD_VDI_INVALID_SIGNATURE).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0×80004005)
Component:
HardDisk2
Interface:
IHardDisk2 {ed6e2525-c2fd-42a4-917a-7a9045ac9e15}
Callee:
IVirtualBox {339abca2-f47a-4302-87f5-7bc324e6bbde}
trafsta

Post by trafsta »

I too have this same error message.

VERR_VD_VDI_INVALID_SIGNATURE:

Running VB 2.1 on Vista x64 trying to open a MS Virtual Server R2 SP1 .vhd file (IDE 16gb dynamic) which contains a Windows XP client.
DerSchuhverkäufer

same problem

Post by DerSchuhverkäufer »

Hi, I'm running VBox 2.1 on a Linux-Host and can't open VHD-file too:

Entegy
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 x64, XP SP3, Server 2008 R2, Fedora 13 x86/x64

Post by Entegy »

Yeah, I'm getting the same error regardless of what operating system is the host. I can't add VHDs to the Media Manager, but VHDs that were in the Media Manager prior to upgrading to 2.1 still function fine and can be a part of snapshots.
TerryE
Volunteer
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

There is a related ticket: http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2768 but I think that this one is different. Could one of register for a wiki user account (this is different to a forum account sorry) if you haven't already got one and then you can use the public Bugtracker to a raise tickets for this.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
sehe

Post by sehe »

I've got the exact same problem with 2.1.0. Looked at the mentioned bug-report http://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/2768 and it looks identical to me.

I don't know exactly what help 'fixed in SVN' means to me. I'm trying to downgrade to 2.0.6 as we speak... But last time I checked, VB couldn't handle VHD's at all (except some simple conversion support on the CLI)...

I was really hoping to get to work with that new feature in 2.1.0 - so I'd be really surprised if a downgrade suddenly would help me...

-- UPDATE
So, yes I was able to get the VHD working using 2.0.6, but I'll have to do without all the other 2.1.0 goodness.

When is the SVN fix going to be available (in the non-OSE version)?
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

sehe wrote:I don't know exactly what help 'fixed in SVN' means to me.
This means that the dev team have work and unit tested the fix and put it back into the source version control system. It will be incorporated into the 2.1.2 release. The X.Y.2 release typically comes out about one month after the X.Y.0 release and primarily targets the major bugs in X.Y.0. Though in this case the Xmas break might stretch this timescale.
sehe

Post by sehe »

Ok, thanks for that clarification. I'll take it to mean 2 months + christmas contingency from now (2.1.2-2.1.0 = ..2*month) so say: march?

I'm waiting!!! (drums fingers...)
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

No, I would guess mid-late Jan. But this is only a guess.
harvey

Guess I shouldn't have deleted that VHD...

Post by harvey »

I can't emphasize enough how much I would like this to work. If I can reliably get this to work then it will be great for all my clients that have just got Vista 64 and need to periodically get to their old machine "just like they had it"

I've done it with VPC2007 but I'd prefer to promote virtual box ;)
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

The dev team are working hard and prioritising the known bugs. It's always a problem knowing when to take the cut: fix a few more issues but delay the benefit of the ones that you have fixed a few weeks. Certainly in the past the team tends to release X.Y.2 quite quickly to fix the major issues.