Enable USB Controller for Windows XP on Mac OS X

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
zzgulu
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Re: Enable USB Controller for Windows XP on Mac OS X

Post by zzgulu »

I have the same problem, everything looks good, external usb drive (WD My Book) listed under filters but when I start VBox and mouse over the usb icon at the bottom of the Vbox windows it say "no usb device is attached" and from the list "WD My Book" is grayed out without any check mark. When I boot from CD (Acronis True Image) it fails to recognize the external usb drive as well. I need to get access to the drive so that I can restore an image of my XP obtained by Acronis True Image (ATI), no luck so far....
Any help would greatly appreciated.
zzgulu
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by zzgulu »

I've got my answer from the link below.

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic. ... 91&start=0

zzgulu wrote:I have the same problem, everything looks good, external usb drive (WD My Book) listed under filters but when I start VBox and mouse over the usb icon at the bottom of the Vbox windows it say "no usb device is attached" and from the list "WD My Book" is grayed out without any check mark. When I boot from CD (Acronis True Image) it fails to recognize the external usb drive as well. I need to get access to the drive so that I can restore an image of my XP obtained by Acronis True Image (ATI), no luck so far....
Any help would greatly appreciated.
appraiser
Primary OS: MS Windows 2000
Guest OSses: MS Windows 2000

Post by appraiser »

I am having a similar problem to all those above posts. I set the USB filters and have them all checked but when I start my Windows 2000 guest machine with a flash drive and an external hard drive connected to the USB ports I cannot access them in the Windows machine. They don't show up in "my computer" or in Windows Explorer. However, sometimes when I click the icon all the USB items are listed but with some greyed out like the flash drive and the external drive. Other times it says there are no USB devices attached.

I also have a problem getting printers to work. For one I think the printer software for one of my printers is not compatible with Win 2000. I will try the other one and see if it works or not.

All help is appreciated.