Ubuntu 8.10 install: Mouse/keyboard freezes

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Cenyon

Ubuntu 8.10 install: Mouse/keyboard freezes

Post by Cenyon »

Hi,

I'm having trouble installing Ubuntu 8.10. It boots just fine, and the installation menu appears, with the keyboard captured, the mouse uncaptured. I press Enter to chose language (English), and that goes fine. Then, I'm able to use the cursor keys to navigate to the "Install" option. When I press Enter to activate it however, the keyboard stops responding in the VM (yet still stays captured), and the installation doesn't start. If I click in the VM window (I've tried both touchpad and external mouse), the pointer disappears in the VM window, and the keyboard stops responding as well. The mouse then also registers as captured. Also, I don't see two pointers; one for the host and one for the VM window, I just see one pointer.

I asked in the IRC, and JshWright, who tried to help me out (thanks!), suggested I try VBoxSDL to see if that works. However, I don't know how to invoke it. The manual states to type VBoxSDL -vm <vm>, but it doesn't work in Terminal (error: "-bash: syntax error near unexpected token `newline'"), and I don't know which VBox file I could possibly use.

I'm booting the .iso from my HD.

I use:
MacBook2.1
Host: OS X 10.4.11
Guest: Ubuntu 8.10
VB 2.0.6 PUEL, normal Qt GUI
I've set the VM to 9.35 GB, 512 MB, and 64 MB graphics memory.

I I haven't been reading the manual properly, or my problem is already adressed elsewhere on this forum, I apologize for wasting your time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
baf
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: linux,xp,win7

Post by baf »

Try using the enter button that's just to the left of the small "left arrow" at the bottom of the keyboard.
Cenyon

Post by Cenyon »

Thanks for the effort, baf, but I got the same result, unfortunately.