How do you access the shared folder using Windows XP Pro?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
DorianJ

How do you access the shared folder using Windows XP Pro?

Post by DorianJ »

How do I access the designated shared OS X folder (host) from Windows (guest)? I'm running VirtualBox 2.0.6 with additions installed. I told VirtualBox to share my ~/Documents directory, but I can't find it anywhere in the Windows environment.

Host OS: Mac OS X 10.5.5
Guest OS: Windows XP Pro SP2
Last edited by DorianJ on 3. Dec 2008, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.
alecse

This should work to access the shared folder

Post by alecse »

First specify the shared folder in VirtualBox VM

Then in windows, go to shared folders,
create a new one with the same name as the one you created from VB in OSX

Then go to windows explorer, select the folder and click on "connecter un lecteur réseau" (sorry my XP is in french), then choose the shared folder...

And it should work (it does for me)
davelbarton
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Tried and Failed

Post by davelbarton »

OK, I did everything given in the last post, and I now have duplicate folders in my Ubuntu system and in my Windows Shared Documents folder, both with the same name. I did all that "connect to external networks" stuff, and I still can't see what is in one folder from the other.

Am I missing something? Help!
DorianJ

Post by DorianJ »

I figured it out. Here's the solution.

1. Assign the folder you want to share in the VM.

2. In Windows XP (probably works in all versions of Windows) goto MY COMPUTER.

3. Goto the TOOLS menu and choose MAP NETWORK DRIVE.

4. Choose a drive letter (I chose Z).

5. Then choose a folder by clicking BROWSE. You will find your assigned folder (from step 1) located in the document tree at...
MY NETWORK PLACES > ENTIRE NETWORK > VIRTUALBOX SHARED FOLDERS > [your folder]

6. Choose the designated folder, click OK, then click FINISH.

Now, whenever you go to MY COMPUTER, your shared folder will show up in the NETWORK DRIVES list. :D Even after rebooting, your folder will still be shared.
TerryE
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 10.04 & 11.10, both Svr&Wstn, Debian, CentOS

Post by TerryE »

This is also discussed in the Forum FAQ.
Read the Forum Posting Guide
Google your Q site:VirtualBox.org or search for the answer before posting.
davelbarton

Post by davelbarton »

TerryE wrote:This is also discussed in the Forum FAQ.
You know, I feel like a real dumbass. I read posts like this (RTFM, you idiot) and the instructions on the above post, and things just aren't there that are supposed to be there. If I go to My Network Places\Entire Network\, there just isn't any "Virtual Package" anything there. I try and put my folder elsewhere, and do all the other things with creating a shared drive, and there it is, on the folder list, Z: but it has nothing to do with the host Linux system. And when I try the "mount -t vboxsf (mumble) (or vboxfs, have tried both) it gives me the "unknown file system type vboxsf" message.

I get the feeling that I have failed to download something important, but I can't find out what. I got the 2.06 release from the site, and it loaded just fine.

So what am I missing?
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

@ davelbarton, I think that pointing out an answer is already covered in the Forum FAQ is rather different from calling anyone an idiot. Please go back to first steps and read the Forum Posting Guide. This gives some ground rules to help you to search for existing answers and to frame Qs. You haven't given a complete and coherent description of your problems so it is very difficult to help you. My first Q would be if your Ubuntu guest doesn't recognise the vboxsf file type, then have you loaded Guest Additions? Also are talking about a Windows guest as well or what? If so that don't you spell it your configurations etc.

BTW as the FPG says VirtualBox is quite a complex package, you will find it difficult to use it without reading the manual. This forum isn't really intended as a substitute for this.
davelbarton

Post by davelbarton »

TerryE wrote:@ davelbarton, I think that pointing out an answer is already covered in the Forum FAQ is rather different from calling anyone an idiot. Please go back to first steps and read the Forum Posting Guide. This gives some ground rules to help you to search for existing answers and to frame Qs. You haven't given a complete and coherent description of your problems so it is very difficult to help you. My first Q would be if your Ubuntu guest doesn't recognise the vboxsf file type, then have you loaded Guest Additions? Also are talking about a Windows guest as well or what? If so that don't you spell it your configurations etc.

Terry, I apologize for the intemperate tone of my post. A fact, although not a reason or justification, is that I had been (and am, although your very reasoned post calmed me down a bit) working on this for a week and a half, I get so close, then something seems to go haywire and I try something else.

By the way, I apologize as well for the "dumbass" comment, but please know I was talking about *me* feeling like a dumbass, not anyone else (and I still feel like that). I've been through the manual from start to finish, I've read the FAQ, and I'm still going crazy.

OK, real information: I am on an HP Pavilion dv7 using Linux Ubuntu as a host service with Windows as a guest under Vbox. I am using a .vdi file as the disk, and most of it is working excellently well --- I have Windows XP working as a guest, installed from a legal CD, and running (as far as I can tell) very well indeed. What I just can't manage is the shared folders. Yes, I have downloaded Guest Additions and installed them. I finally got over one level of idiocy (mine) and found the "Virtual Box Shared Folders" and had installed a folder in the Virtual Box folder with an appropriate share name.

What I can't find is "vboxsf" or "vboxfs". When I try the mount I get "Unknown system file type "vbsf". I've tried several things, and have googled the phrase, gotten some tips, but none of them have worked so far.

I hope that is enough information to see what the problem is. I apologize again for my language in my last post --- it really wasn't any kind of information request, just an explosion of frustration that doesn't belong on this list. It won't (I hope) happen again.

Thanks again for being reasoned and calming me down a bit.

Dave Barton
TerryE wrote:BTW as the FPG says VirtualBox is quite a complex package, you will find it difficult to use it without reading the manual. This forum isn't really intended as a substitute for this.
TerryE
Volunteer

Post by TerryE »

Dave, don't worry: we all get irritated at times. Letting it leak out can be good for the sole. It's the hostile flames that get to me.

The vboxsf file system only applies to linux guests. On the host you define your VBox shares either through the VM GUI Devices menu or through the VBoxManage sharedfolder <add|remove> commands.

The mount (Linux Guests) and net use (Windows Guests) commands are discussed in the Forum FAQ and in the User Guide.