critical error occurred while running virtual machine and execution has been stopped

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Martijn van den Boom
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: 1. Kali Linux

critical error occurred while running virtual machine and execution has been stopped

Post by Martijn van den Boom »

Dear reader I hope my current problem sounds familiar to you and you are able to give me a pointer to resolve the issue.

Situation:
I am running macOS Ventura 13.3.1 with OpenCore Legacy Patcher on an old iMac from 2010.
My video card is a ATI Radeon HD 5670 512 MB.
I have 12 GB of RAM in this machine.

Now I have installed the latest version of VirtualBox 7.0.8 and I want run a virtual machine with ParrotOS 5.3.

When I try to get the VM running it fails with the error:
A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped.
I looked at the log file but I am unfamiliar with these files and am not sure for what pattern I am looking for.

I want to provide you with all the details that can help to resolve this. See attachments for the 1st logfile.

In the meanwhile I have also tried the version 7.0.9 r157502 (of VirtualBox).
It gives me the same error. Perhaps this logfile can be of interest as well. See attachments for the 2nd logfile.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
2nd logfile
(61.77 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
VBox.log.zip
1st logfile
(52.8 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: critical error occurred while running virtual machine and execution has been stopped

Post by multiOS »

This has been discussed several times. VirtualBox doesn't work with the OpenCore Legacy Patcher installed; and nor do other visualisation applications which I have checked for guidance (VMWare and UTM). Nor does the Opencore Legacy Patcher site make any reference to support for the Apple Hypervisor in it's guidance. The only guidance it does have are for installing Windows using Boot Camp (obviously on Intel Macs only).

I don't use OpenCore myself but, if I was in your situation, I would ask on the OpenCore Legacy Forum whether or not there is a known compatibility issue with the Apple Hypervisor and/or third party virtualisation applications such as VirtualBox. Apple does not support the use of OpenCore, so registered developers of software for macOS are unlikely to be interested in unsupported configurations.
Martijn van den Boom
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: 1. Kali Linux

Re: critical error occurred while running virtual machine and execution has been stopped

Post by Martijn van den Boom »

@multiOS I must say thank you for taking the time to give me a reply. So kudos.
But I must disagree with you on your statement that VirtualBox doesn't work with OpenCore Legacy Patcher, because it seems it does work.
After some trial and error I have managed to find a solution that is working for me.

What I am after is other people's experience and maybe a few tips or hints. I was not trying to get official support.
In the meanwhile I have installed the newest version of VirtualBox 6.1 and the OpenCore Legacy Patcher 0.6.6.
And it is working now without any problem. Even the flickering of the virtual machine window I have experienced before is now gone.

It is a pitty to hear things to be get cut off instead of inspiring people.
I hope this can inspire someone to not give up and not to be discouraged.
It is in the best interest of every party to be able to learn more.
Sincerely,
ing. M.A.C.M. (Martijn) van den Boom
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@Martijn van den Boom

I based my statement on the use of VirtualBox 7 on macOS Ventura, which now has to make direct use of the Apple Hypervisor rather than installing Kexts because of Apple's latest system security restrictions.

If you have managed to 'trick' Ventura into accepting the installation of VirtualBox 6.1.xx, then you are still using Kext installs, which Ventura is not supposed to permit and which Apple (or VirtualBox developers) may take further action to block at any point. Clearly that would also create further problems for OpenCore Legacy Patcher which, I understand, also requires Kexts to be installed prior to any upgrade to Ventura. However, it should also be noted that staying with/reverting to VirtualBox 6.1.xx means loss of certain features only supported by Version 7 making some VMs more complex to install/maintain, e.g it means no virtualised TPM or Secure Boot support.

Your workaround may well be of interest to others in the same situation, but I'm not sure that it should be discussed on these Forums given that they are sponsored by Oracle, which needs to stay on the right side of its relationship with Apple. Forum Moderators may have views.