Windows 10 VM Aborted after upgrade to VirtualBox 7

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Sargantana

Windows 10 VM Aborted after upgrade to VirtualBox 7

Post by Sargantana »

I have been using a Windows 10 VM for a years
After upgrading my iMac (running Ventura 13.3.1 macOS) from VirtualBox 6.1.44-156814 to version 7.0.8 r156879 (Qt5.15.2) I'm unable to open any VM: Is starts loading but after some seconds VM loading quits unexpectedly. (Log attached)
As the Windows VM hasn't never run, doesn't have the Guest Additions installed, but the Extension Pack is installed in VirtualBox.
I've tried to build a new Windows VM, but it behaves the same way: it starts loading and before loading the ISO file to start building, suddenly crashes
There is something I can do to be able to run the VM?
Thank you
Attachments
VBox.log
(97.61 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Re: Windows 10 VM Aborted after upgrade to VirtualBox 7

Post by multiOS »

The Log identifies you Mac as an "iMac12,1", i.e. a mid-2012 Model that Apple says can only natively run macOS versions up to 'High Sierra". So, if you have installed the OpenCore Legacy Patcher to be able to install and run 'Ventura' then that's likely to be the problem, i.e. it's not compatible with VirtualBox (or VMWare Fusion from reports on their Forum), so possibly lacks support for the use of Apple's Virtualisation Platform and/or the hardware requirements it tests for.
Sargantana

Post by Sargantana »

I had this patch running VirtualBox 6 with no issues, so I think is more a problem with VirtualBox than an OCLP related issue.
Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Sargantana wrote:I had this patch running VirtualBox 6 with no issues
How? VirtualBox 6 doesn't support Ventura.

Only VirtualBox 7 supports Ventura, and it manages that by discarding kexts and relying on the Ventura Hypervisor feature. The Ventura hypervisor is not expected to be compatible with older iMacs.