Unable to create VMDK file from SD Card reader on Ventura

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Nap

Unable to create VMDK file from SD Card reader on Ventura

Post by Nap »

[MBP 2014, Ventura 13.3.1, VBox 7.0.2 ]

I'm trying to pass-through my SD Card (Raspberry Pi image) to a Ubuntu CLI-Only Server running in a VM. Since I've been unable to assign the "Apple Internal Memory Card Reader [0820] to my VM using the USB Device tool that's in the VM's window frame, I thought I would create a VMDK mapping instead. But, I seem to be running into an error when trying to do that;

Code: Select all

sudo VBoxManage internalcommands createrawvmdk -filename "sdcard.vmdk" -rawdisk /dev/disk6
VBoxManage: error: VMDK: Image path: 'sdcard.vmdk'. Getting config interface failed
VBoxManage: error: Error code VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER at /Users/vbox/tinderbox/mac-rel/src/VBox/Storage/VMDK.cpp(4481) in function int vmdkRawDescParseConfig(PVMDKIMAGE, char **, uint32_t *, uint32_t *, void **, size_t *, bool *, char **)
VBoxManage: error: VMDK: could get raw descriptor for 'sdcard.vmdk'
VBoxManage: error: Error code VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER at /Users/vbox/tinderbox/mac-rel/src/VBox/Storage/VMDK.cpp(5296) in function int vmdkCreateImage(PVMDKIMAGE, uint64_t, unsigned int, const char *, PCVDGEOMETRY, PCVDGEOMETRY, PCRTUUID, PVDINTERFACEPROGRESS, unsigned int, unsigned int)
VBoxManage: error: Cannot create the raw disk VMDK: VERR_INVALID_PARAMETER
VBoxManage: error: The raw disk vmdk file was not created
Any suggestions?
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Unable to create VMDK file from SD Card reader on Ventura

Post by granada29 »

Instead of using sudo to run VBoxManage, you could try changing the ownership of the disk devices.

Code: Select all

sudo chown <your username> /dev/disk6*
sudo chown <your username> /dev/rdisk6*
then run VBoxManage without using sudo