Virtual box on Ventura

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ovniwatcher

Virtual box on Ventura

Post by ovniwatcher »

Hello Community

My Mac book was freezing more and more, after trying many things i uninstalled completely VirtualBox and now the mac is incredibly stable.
Have you experienced that ?
Does Ventura is not supported with Virtual Box ? Is there an alternative, i have too much works to do with VM but i like the stability of my kernel :)

Thanks for your help on that topic
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Virtual box on Ventura

Post by granada29 »

This has not been my experience at all. The problems I have seen have all been on the VM side, freezing, boot failures etc.

That said, something in your VM settings may be wrong. If you still have a VM log, could you zip and post it please.
ovniwatcher

Post by ovniwatcher »

glad to know that virtual box can be compatible with Ventura. My kernel freeze even if i have not a VM running. I was thinking about an extension installed by Oracle to trigger this instability ...but now i have a doubt from your experience !
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

@overwatcher

I hame the same positive experience as as granada29 when it comes to installing VirtualBox 7.0.x, i.e. no general problems with the base application, but some issues with some VM/Guest Additions mixes, which are being eliminated gradually with each new 'stable'/test release.

It's somewhat difficult for anyone to know what your specific problem might be without more detailed information about the setup you've tested, particularly the Mac model which is experiencing the problem, the precise version of VirtualBox you are installing, i.e. 7.0.?; and whether this installation is a clean installation, or an upgrade from a previous version.

The only general tips I have are:

- If upgrading to VirtualBox 7.0.x from a previous 'major' release, e.g. 6.1.xx, first make sure to correctly uninstall the old version to remove the residual kexts that were previously required.
- Don't expect VirtualBox (or any other virtualisation software) to work if OpenCore Legacy is installed on an 'older' Mac model.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

ovniwatcher wrote:I was thinking about an extension installed by Oracle to trigger this instability ...
VirtualBox does not install any kernel extensions in Ventura. Ventura doesn't allow it.
ovniwatcher

Post by ovniwatcher »

Thanks guys.
I'll do some more tests and will come back, i think that my random freeze is a combination between Vbox and the use of an external display. I don't want to waste your time with some informations with my setup, so i'll have to do more test to isolate my issue.
And yes that's right, it seems that there is no extension installed ( it was for a previous macOS version ). But with Ventura, we have a profile " Oracle VirtualBox VM"
ovniwatcher

Post by ovniwatcher »

Hey

Coming back to say that my freeze disappear since the latest version of Ventura 13.4
So far so good ...