MacBook Pro 2012 w/Ventura glitches & crashes

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
KitaMiMe

MacBook Pro 2012 w/Ventura glitches & crashes

Post by KitaMiMe »

Every single time I try to run any distro in VirtualBox 7.0 using my 2012 MacBook Pro with a Intel CPU and Intel graphics on Ventura...the virtual machine starts up but at the GUI install it has glitchy lines and soon as it launches it crashes and it states its been aborted and it won't even try to launch again. I've did about 3 re-installs of both Ventura and Catalina and still VirualBox WILL NOT work. Is there a solution to this? :(
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: MacBook Pro 2012 w/Ventura glitches & crashes

Post by scottgus1 »

Start the VM from full normal shutdown, not save-state. Run until you see the problem happen, then shut down the VM from within the VM's OS if possible. If not possible, close the Virtualbox window for the VM with the Power Off option set.

Right-click the VM in the main Virtualbox window's VM list, choose Show in Explorer/Finder/File Manager. In the "Logs" subfolder, zip the VM's "vbox.log", and post the zip file, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab. (Configure your host OS to show all extensions so you can find the "vbox.log", not "vbox.log.1", etc.)

Also, did you require a 3rd-party tool to get Ventura to run on your 11-year-old Mac?
KitaMiMe

Post by KitaMiMe »

OK great I'm gonna do that now, I accidentally said MacBook 2012 but its an early 2011 actually. Gonna try that now....
KitaMiMe

Post by KitaMiMe »

I am attaching the log now can someone figure this out? I certainly have just about gave up and believe it simply won't run on this MacBook.
Attachments
test-2023-05-03-09-32-05.log
this is the log
(95.56 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

A modern desktop OS needs way more than 16MB of graphics RAM. Max that parameter out.

OTOH, your main RAM allocation is uncomfortable close to the 100% of the available RAM on your host (note: installed is not the same as available). I would reduce the RAM allocation to 8192MB.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

I suspect the main issue may be down to the likely use of OpenCore Legacy Patcher to get Ventura to install on a 2011 Mac.

I can find no mention/claim on the OpenCore Legacy site of compatibility with the Apple Hypervisor that VirtualBox and other third-party virtualisation software is now dependent on; and I'm not aware of any other method for installing maOS 13 (Ventura) on 'old' Mac hardware, so if OpenCore is installed the question of compatibility with virtualisation software should probably first be clarified via their channels.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

multiOS wrote:I suspect the main issue may be down to the likely use of OpenCore Legacy Patcher to get Ventura to install on a 2011 Mac.
+1 absolutely correct. Is to be expected trying to run Ventura on an unsupported Mac.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
KitaMiMe

Post by KitaMiMe »

Well the is kinda what I first assumed just after going through many installs with Ventura before its finally stable. Funny every person on YouTube touting this new and awesome Ventura "upgrade" fails to mention it won't run a hypervisor. Well psssh figures. I wonder why though? Perhaps there's conflicting issues as the other replies someone mentioned RAM allocation and perhaps Ventura is being greedy? Truly I haven't a clue but it would be nice to see someone find the answer and then perhaps it can be remedied. Thank you all btw for all the help. Probably gonna let this MacBook just be a MacBook till a solution comes about.
loukingjr
Volunteer
Guest OSses: just about all that run

Post by loukingjr »

It's not a Ventura problem. Ventura runs VM apps and VMs just fine. The problem is, you are trying to run Ventura on a Mac that is not designed to run Ventura by using a hack.
OSX, Linux and Windows Hosts & Guests
There are three groups of people. Those that can count and those that can't.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

KitaMiMe wrote:Funny every person on YouTube touting this new and awesome Ventura "upgrade" fails to mention it won't run a hypervisor.
People shilling for garbage and spreading BS on YouTube? I'm shocked...
KitaMiMe

Post by KitaMiMe »

Yes your replies are absolutely on point and for the record I meant nothing towards Ventura as it runs wonderfully on my newer MacBooks ...you're exactly correct it's the push to run it on these older machines on unsupported hardware. Also yep...YouTube shilling like its next level BS....ugh. Meh I expect nothing less of people these days. It's people like yourself that are appreciated. Thank you. :)