Which Windows 11 Version Should I Use?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
MichaelYYZ

Which Windows 11 Version Should I Use?

Post by MichaelYYZ »

I have a Mac Studio M1 Ultra with 128 GB RAM and 8 TB SSD. I Installed VirtualBox version 7.0.8_BETA4 r156879 for Apple Silicon (shows as an iOS-type application in System Report).

Which version of Windows 11 22H2.1 should I use: x64 or arm64? Am I restricted to the ARM version, or it does not matter? Would both work?

Also, should I perform an Unattended Installation?

Thanks.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Which Windows 11 Version Should I Use?

Post by granada29 »

I'm afraid you will not have much luck on your machine with any version of Windows 11.

See viewtopic.php?f=8&t=107344
MichaelYYZ

Post by MichaelYYZ »

Oh, wow! I was not expecting this. But, thanks!

Have there not been any updates/improvements to VirtualBox since August 2022, the date of the thread you pointed me to?

Regardless, if I were to try my luck, which version should I try? Or does it matter, anyway?
fth0
Volunteer
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

MichaelYYZ wrote:Have there not been any updates/improvements to VirtualBox since August 2022, the date of the thread you pointed me to?
There have been some improvements internally, but none that really changed the user experience: It just doesn't work. I definitely wouldn't hold my breath!
MichaelYYZ wrote:Regardless, if I were to try my luck, which version should I try?
VirtualBox 7.0.8 BETA4 only supports x86 guest OSes. I'd suggest to rather try another hypervisor named UTM.
MichaelYYZ

Post by MichaelYYZ »

Thank you.

I suppose I could also use VirtualBox 7.0.8 on my old MacBook Pro Late 2013 computer, which is Intel based.

How does UTM compare to VirtualBox in terms of features? Or with VMWare Fusion Player?
fth0
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

MichaelYYZ wrote:How does UTM compare to VirtualBox in terms of features?
I don't know, but the answer would probably be useless anyway.

If you want to virtualize an Intel/AMD-based OS on Apple Silicon, there are UTM (working) and VirtualBox (not working).

If you want to virtualize an ARM-based OS on Apple Silicon, you can choose among Parallels Desktop, VMware Fusion and the Apple Hypervisor.
MichaelYYZ

Post by MichaelYYZ »

Here is my problem. I am a Mac user but I need to use a colour calibration software to calibrate my Home Theatre projector, and these software work only under Windows.

I only need to use the software occasionally, once a year, maybe twice a year at most. Therefore, it does not make sense to me to pay for a subscription to use Parallels, which apparently rocks, or even to buy a standalone purchase.

Currently, I have the following equipment:

1. Mac Studio Ultra M1;
2. MacBook Air M2;
3. MacBook Pro Late 2013 (which will be decommissioned).

I was happy to find the Apple Silicon Beta version of VirtualBox, but now I realize it's a disappointment.

Not sure what to do now. I've got new-install copies of Win 11 Pro, both x64 and ARM. What would be an elegant, simple and cheap solution?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

MichaelYYZ wrote:MacBook Pro Late 2013
I have heard of people installing Windows directly on Mac hardware. Since you're planning to decommission the 2013 Mac, consider installing Windows on it and skip the VM.
MichaelYYZ

Post by MichaelYYZ »

Indeed, so. Although by 'decommissioning' I meant getting rid of it and giving it away.
But maybe this would be a sensible idea after all.