Aborting VM 7.0.8 on MacBook Pro Ventura 13.3.1

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Control4

Aborting VM 7.0.8 on MacBook Pro Ventura 13.3.1

Post by Control4 »

Hello,

I have been having trouble starting a VM for the last couple of months on MacBook Pro Ventura 13.3.1.

I am getting the status "Aborted"

I just installed VirtualBox 7.0.8 hoping that the issue would resolve, but it persists.

Thinking it may be currupt, I restored the previously running .vdi and .vbox from last year and have the same issues.

Nothing appears to jump out to me in the VBox.log file, attached here.

Any suggestions?
Attachments
VBox.log
(96.13 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Re: Aborting VM 7.0.8 on MacBook Pro Ventura 13.3.1

Post by fth0 »

Control4 wrote:I have been having trouble starting a VM for the last couple of months on MacBook Pro Ventura 13.3.1.
I'm wondering where you got that macOS version that early. ;)
Control4 wrote:Nothing appears to jump out to me in the VBox.log file, attached here.
The last two lines jump out to me, but I've only seen them in the last few weeks.
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

The Log states:
00:00:01.145342 DMI Product Name: MacBookPro11,3
which is a 2013 model, which cannot natively install/run macOS 13 (Ventura) according to Apple's guidance. I have the same model still in use on macOS 11(Big Sur), which is the last supported OS version for that model and have double-checked.

That would suggests OpenCore Legacy Patcher or some similar software is being used to get around Apple's restrictive use policy and enable Ventura to be installed on 'non-compatible' hardware, which could well have a negative impact on any software that expects the hardware to fully match Apple's specifications. Apple doesn't support such configurations and I doubt that Oracle's developers would either.
Eddie68

Post by Eddie68 »

Hi there,

same problem at my 11.4 MacBook pro with opencore and Ventura 13.3.1.
Since last OS Update virtualbox interrupts the starting routine and gives exactly the same log-file as yours.
Guess the reason is the OS Update.
Control4

Post by Control4 »

I think I had success with Ventura and OpenCore initially. It may be that upgrades to Ventura or VirtualBox broke compatibility. I will try the VM on a natively supported Mac next. Thanks!
Eddie68

Post by Eddie68 »

Trial and error. The old good way.
I try to downgrade Ventura. I don't know if there is way back to a former state. I keep you informed.
kemikemi

Post by kemikemi »

I have the same problem with another MacBook 13,3 running Ventura 13.3+. I also tried VMware Fusion but it also hangs in weird ways.

Eventually I moved my VM to QEMU (using UTM) and it works perfectly! Just be sure you don't select "Use Apple virtualization" when you create a new VM.

While this is not a solution to use VirtualBox, at least it's a workaround to keep your workload running until a solution is found.
Mac4Me

Post by Mac4Me »

Had the same problem. I just installed test build "7.0.x revision 157071" for MacOS. This version solved the problem for me :D
AndrewA

Post by AndrewA »

I can confirm this works! I can also tell you that while running my Linux VM on QEMU my machine was working a lot less hard (fans were rarely on). When I run the same VM under VirtualBox the machine runs a lot hotter. I posted a separate message about that possible "idle bug."