Critical Error with Windows 11 VM on macOS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
SeventhFret

Critical Error with Windows 11 VM on macOS

Post by SeventhFret »

Hello everyone!

I use MacBook Pro, and for some study purposes I need Windows sometimes, so I've decided to install it via VirtualBox on external SSD. I downloaded official ISO file from Microsoft site and official release of VirtualBox. I had Windows Server 2008 before this one(for study) and it worked just fine. I've tried everything with installation of Windows 11(changed settings, tried on internal and external drive, and different filesystems of external SSD, tried to choose Windows 10, and then install manually, I even checked capability of my MacBook to use virtualization), but nothing helps, so I'll attach the screenshot of an error and it's logs. It happens immediately after starting VM, and I don't even see Windows logo. I will be really grateful for your help and if you need any additional information - feel free to ask. Thanks!

My configuration is:
-MacBook Pro 2018(macOS Ventura 13.13.1)
-Crucial BX500 2.5 (with hard drive case)
-VirtualBox 7.0.4 r154605 (Qt5.15.2)
-VirtualBox Extension Pack 7.0.4r154605

Guest Settings:
-Edition: Windows 11 Pro (10.0.22621.525 / x64 / uk-UA)
-Skip Unattended Installation(tried also without skipping)
-Base Memory(RAM): 8192MB
-Processors: 4 CPUs
-Enable EFI (special OSes only)
-Created new VDI for 100GB | Located on external SSD in MacOS-Extended(tried either exFAT and MS-DOS)
-Video Memory: 140MB
-Enable 3D Acceleration
-Graphics controller: VBoxSVGA
-TPM v2.0
-Enable Secure Boot
Attachments
WinLogs.log.zip
Logs File
(71.2 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
Screenshot of an error
Screenshot of an error
Error pic.jpg (106.27 KiB) Viewed 2211 times
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: Critical Error with Windows 11 VM on macOS

Post by granada29 »

Unfortunately this is a problem that was introduced by macOS 13.3. There has been discussion of the problem at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=108970 and a bug ticket filed at https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/21563

There is a fix underway and the testbuilds seem to work. See https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds

You can ignore the warning about disabling SIP - no longer required for VirtualBox 7.0.x