What folders do I need to restore from backup?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
SMXBob

What folders do I need to restore from backup?

Post by SMXBob »

I installed the latest update, 7.0.6, on a 2013 Macbook. I have a Windows 10 guest that I can't get to full screen. In fact, now it appears to be stuck and won't open at all.

What files/folders do I need to restore to go back to the previous version of Virtualbox?

Or can I download and install the previous version and instal it?

Thanks
Steve
SMXBob

Re: What folders do I need to restore from backup?

Post by SMXBob »

I used the uninstall tool. Installed 7.04 along with extensions. Now it takes forever to load. Still can't get full screen.

Did the uninstall tool leave something behind?

It's been a long time since I had to change any settings so I forget what they were originally. What folder do I restore from backup to restore settings?
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

If you are not running macOS Ventura, you are probably better off to uninstall VirtualBox 7.0.x (using the uninstall script) and then install VirtualBox 6.1.42

You will find the installer and extension pack for 6.1.42 at https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_1
SMXBob

Post by SMXBob »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm running Big Sur. Version 7 was one of the best upgrades I've seen with Virtualbox. So of course I kept upgrading. But 06 crashed it. Now all I want to do is get back what I had. 04 is running but I still can't get back to full screen. And for some reason seems to be a strain on the system, didn't hear the fan like it is now.

And as I said, it has been a while since I needed to change settings so I don't recall what exactly they were.

If I could just restore the mystery settings folder...
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox's "settings" folder on Mac OS hosts is "$HOME/Library/VirtualBox\Virtualbox.xml". However, that's only the list of VMs and what settings are made in File menu Preferences, etc. This file doesn't control how Virtualbox executes VM code. That's done by the Virtualbox installation.

You might try completely uninstalling Virtualbox, then rebooting the host a couple times, then installing the version of Virtualbox you want while the "ask me for permissions on every blasted thing this Mac might want to do" window is open, to catch if permissions need to be granted. :lol:

Otherwise, you'll have to rely on host backups if you were making them.