Virtualbox 6.x to 7.x changes affecting AMD machines?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
andy_

Virtualbox 6.x to 7.x changes affecting AMD machines?

Post by andy_ »

Unfortunately, my original post was locked before I could post a follow-up question, so here it is:

I've been running OSX and Virtualbox 6.x a long time on my AMD machine (Which is LEGAL in Germany, using my legal copy of MacOS). Now I find that 7.x with Ventura won't run.

So here's my question: did 7.x change it's basic functionality, now using some OSX resources that rely on Intel VT, while 6.x didn't rely on such prerequisites? If not, what does VERR_NEM_INIT_FAILED mean?

Regards,
Andreas
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox 6.x to 7.x changes affecting AMD machines?

Post by scottgus1 »

andy_ wrote:Which is LEGAL in Germany
Please provide evidence for this, then we might be able to help. Solid evidence will be a EULA from Apple saying that running Mac OS on non-Apple hardware is legal in Germany. We are still facing the legal considerations that were posted in the locked topic.

FWIW running Mac OS on AMD is sssssssoooooooo unusual you may get no solid answers even after providing the legal evidence. This situation is just way too out there.
andy_

Post by andy_ »

The legal stuff is dealt with extensively in Hackinosh forums, discussing this here seems far off-topic. FWIW: heise de/ratgeber/Hackintosh-mit-Ryzen-7000-selbst-gebaut-Schneller-als-Apple-Mac-Studio-M1-Ultra-7478000.html

What did change in 6.x to 7.x? Does 7.x use additional MacOS resources now?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

andy_ wrote:discussing this here seems far off-topic
Not when the lawyers get hold of us for helping someone break Apple's EULA. You going to pay Oracle's legal costs? It's extremely on topic.
andy_ wrote:The legal stuff is dealt with extensively in Hackinosh forums
"Excuse me, Mr. Drug Dealer, is it legal for me to buy drugs from you?"

Not the most confidence-building source. :wink:
Scottgus1 wrote:Solid evidence will be a EULA from Apple saying that running Mac OS on non-Apple hardware is legal in Germany.
Please see 7.0's changelog and read the Mac Hosts forum for further info on Ventura & no kexts & Apple's built-in hypervisor being used, etc.

We have to lock this one again. Very close to OSX guests on non-Apple hardware

Please don't ask here about it anymore. We'll have to warm up the ban button if that happens. On other subjects we'd be happy to help.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This is BS.

(1) Germany are signatories to the Berne Convention just as most other countries are. Under the Berne convention you need a license from the copyright holder in order to make use of a copyrighted work. Whether you like it or not, Apple are legally entitled to apply conditions to the use of their license - and their conditions everywhere else in the world includes: you can only use MacOS on Apple Hardware.

(2) Pedantic point: this isn't a matter of being "illegal" anyway. Most copyright misuse is actually a civil/contractual matter, not a criminal law matter. This doesn't mean that Apple will be relaxed about letting you do it - especially if you have deep pockets to go after, e.g. Oracle.

(3) I rather suspect that some ignoramus is conflating the decision of the German Courts vs Microsoft in 2000 that if the software was legally obtained and bundled with a bit of hardware, then the original buyer can legally sell on the software to another buyer when you dispose of the hardware. But this does not obviate the original license conditions. It does not mean for example that you can run multiple copies of the software, and nor does it remove Apple's license condition that the software can only be run on Apple hardware.