Win 10 and Fedora 36 hangs mulitple times on macOS Intel 13.2.1 and VBox 7.0.6

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
ElMaSkA007
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 11, Fedora 38, RHEL 8 and Ubuntu 22.04.2

Win 10 and Fedora 36 hangs mulitple times on macOS Intel 13.2.1 and VBox 7.0.6

Post by ElMaSkA007 »

Hello experts!

Already in version 7.0.4 of VirtualBox I experienced several crashes with my Win 10 virtual machine, but due to lack of time I did not report it.

But this time with the new version of Virtual Box 7.0.6 I've already been seeing several crashes (not crashes, the Win 10 virtual machine screen freezes, this forces me to close the VM window and choose the option, otherwise the three that Virtual Box offers me, "Power off the machine") and it is something quite worrisome since I use this machine for work reasons.

I am observing this same behavior in a Fedora 36 VM.

I am attaching some logs so you can tell me what the problem is.

Best regards.
Attachments
2023-02-16-12-28-24-bugreport.tgz
Logs from VM Win 10
(222.31 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
ElMaSkA007

Re: Win 10 and Fedora 36 hangs mulitple times on macOS Intel 13.2.1 and VBox 7.0.6

Post by ElMaSkA007 »

Hello again.

Can someone help me with this problem that I have reported?

Best regards.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Win 10 and Fedora 36 hangs mulitple times on macOS Intel 13.2.1 and VBox 7.0.6

Post by mpack »

Please note that these are user discussion forums, help is entirely voluntary from other users, and may not come at all unless it's a common problem that people know about.

In this case you have an Apple Ventura host - already something that most will avoid, and you are running under the MacOS hypervisor, not really as a VirtualBox VM at all.
00:00:02.979434 NEM: NEMR3Init: Turtle execution mode is active!
00:00:02.979434 NEM: Note! VirtualBox is not able to run at its full potential in this execution mode.
Also running without graphics acceleration.

And yet I see no problem with the VM. It seems to be the guest OS that is locking up. I have no way to know why.
00:30:32.510948 VMMDev: vmmDevHeartbeatFlatlinedTimer: Guest seems to be unresponsive. Last heartbeat received 18 seconds ago
00:30:32.515020 VMMDev: GuestHeartBeat: Guest is alive (gone 18 076 720 075 ns)
00:30:51.536285 VMMDev: vmmDevHeartbeatFlatlinedTimer: Guest seems to be unresponsive. Last heartbeat received 18 seconds ago
00:30:51.537999 VMMDev: GuestHeartBeat: Guest is alive (gone 18 872 177 693 ns)
00:31:11.785671 VMMDev: vmmDevHeartbeatFlatlinedTimer: Guest seems to be unresponsive. Last heartbeat received 20 seconds ago
Did you install this VM yourself, in VirtualBox?
ElMaSkA007

Post by ElMaSkA007 »

Hello mpack.

First of all thanks for your answer. I perfectly understand what you mean and I will do everything in my place to have a little more patience.

According to your comment "...already something that most will avoid...", it makes me think that, as a host that I am using Apple Ventura, there are problems associated with using VirtualBox on an Apple Ventura host, I honestly don't know about them...

I don't run my VMs with graphics acceleration because I literally can't, all the VMs I have don't run well with it enabled (black screen and other stability issues I've noticed). I think that there are several cases already reported by other users about this.

And yes, I installed this VM in VirtualBox by myself, now, what is the purpose of that question?

Best regards.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

ElMaSkA007 wrote: According to your comment "...already something that most will avoid...", it makes me think that, as a host that I am using Apple Ventura, there are problems associated with using VirtualBox on an Apple Ventura host, I honestly don't know about them...
Basically Apple is trying to create a walled garden in which only their software gets to play.

Several immediate problems.

(1) Ventura makes it pretty much impossible to write kernel extensions (kexts), needed if you want the software to do anything at all unusual close to the hardware - for example reroute the USB or Network. So VirtualBox v7 has been modified to not require kexts, but this has a number of performance costs.

(2) Apple has implemented their own VM platform in Ventura - I don't know if you can turn it off, but you probably can't anyway because of aforesaid lack of kexts as an alternative. This has a LOT of performance costs.

(3) Apple is abandoning support for cross platform standards such as OpenGL. So products have to run slowly, or be adapted to run on the Apple proprietary standard (Metal). Frankly the Apple market is not big enough justify that development effort.

(4) Apple is currently transitioning away from Intel and towards proprietary (spot a theme here?) ARM based processors (the M1 and M2). VirtualBox cannot run usably on ARM. The residual Intel Mac market may become so small that no resource allocation is worthwhile.
And yes, I installed this VM in VirtualBox by myself, now, what is the purpose of that question?
The purpose was to check if there might be drivers running that are not designed for a VirtualBox VM environment and hence lock up. For example, if these VMs originated as physical PC images, or VMWare VMs etc then that could be an explanation for the symptoms reported in the log.
ElMaSkA007

Post by ElMaSkA007 »

Hi mpack.

Thank you for this information and said which these Apple guys are a bit of a bullfighter... I'll have to keep dealing with these little issues and trust and be patient in your know-how.

I confirm that all the virtual machines that I have do not come from physical PCs, I did the installation of each of them myself from VirtualBox, can any conclusions be drawn from the logs that I provided?

Br.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The conclusions I drew from the log were outlined in my first post after the log was provided. I have had no new information since then - but thanks for confirming that the OS image was not ported from another platform, though that simply closes off an avenue of exploration, it doesn't add anything.

As I said above, the problem seems to be inside the VM: VirtualBox sees the hang but I have no reason to believe that VirtualBox causes it. To proceed further we'd need to know what the guest OS was doing during the hang.
ElMaSkA007

Post by ElMaSkA007 »

Thanks mpack.

I perfectly remember that I had Firefox open and when I opened a new tab and entered a Wikipedia URL, it started to load the page and suddenly the VM froze. I also had a VPN enabled on the VM.

Br.
ElMaSkA007

Post by ElMaSkA007 »

Hi experts again.

Just now I just realized that my Win 11 virtual machine (since I recently upgraded from Win 10) has been hanging and not responding, do I get logs so you can analyze this problem?

As a background note, this machine was running normally for days, even putting the host to sleep.

Best regards.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

For problems with 7.0 graphics or seize-ups:

7.0 is still in bug-hunt phase, and graphics had a code change.

Please upgrade to the latest 7.0 Virtualbox, Extension Pack if used, and Guest Additions.

If this does not get a stable VM, try switching the 3D acceleration setting (off > on or on > off). If that stabilizes the VM, please note that this happened.

Please create a ticket in the Bugtracker with the problem description, the manufacturer and model of the host PC's graphics card, the graphics driver version (on the host OS), and a (zipped) VBox.log file.

Since you're on Ventura, 7.0 is all you can run, so there are no workarounds at this moment except putting up with the problem. Running the VM with no Guest Additions may help. If you had 3D on before and turning 3D off helped the VM to run better then that is a decent workaround for now, too.
ferdil

Post by ferdil »

This is not a guest OS issue - Most things will not run on 7.0.6 - I got intermittent hangs and roaring fans using VBox 7 - I've downgraded to VBox 6 and all is working again
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

7.0 doesn't work well on Catalina or earlier, according to forum guru Granada29. 6.1 won't work on Ventura. If these are your Mac host OS, that may help give a direction to go.
ElMaSkA007

Post by ElMaSkA007 »

Hi experts.

Thank you very much for your answers, the work you do in this great forum is incredible and you deserve all the best.

With VirtualBox 7.0.4 and 7.0.6 (with Ventura 13.2.1 and having Win 10 before and now recently upgraded to Win 11), having disabled the 3D graphics acceleration (since having it activated no VM worked), all the virtual machines that I have are in a very stable situation.

I am having trouble uploading the logs that I have since they occupy more than 256 KB (more specifically 306 KB), is there any other possibility to upload them?

Best regards.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Zipped logs fit just fine - but you should start your own topic to discuss them.
ElMaSkA007

Post by ElMaSkA007 »

but you should start your own topic to discuss them.
Thanks for your response mpack.

Do you suggest me to close this thread and there will be a new one with host OS Ventura 13.2.1 and Win 11?

By the way, I have been able to compress the files below the maximum limit of the forum but with bzip2, would they also be valid?

Br.