Virtualbox 7.06 killed Windows 10 guest machine (Catalina)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
vermsky

Virtualbox 7.06 killed Windows 10 guest machine (Catalina)

Post by vermsky »

I updated to 7.06 and when I started my vm, I just kept getting the blue screen with different errors. Sometimes the vm gets stuck on the attempting to repair screen. I tried downgrading back to 7.04 and earlier 7.0x versions but those didn't work either.

Downgrading to the latest 6.1.xx version, I got further. the BSOD was gone and it was giving me repair and restore screens. Eventually, windows 10 repaired itself and I was able to get my vm back without more pain.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Virtualbox 7.06 killed Windows 10 guest machine (Catalina)

Post by scottgus1 »

That's a bummer! A good series of backups will help when such glitches occur. A Mac guru might explain what's going on more.
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

A number of people have had problems running VirtualBox 7.0.x on a Catalina host, myself included.

The Apple Hypervisor software is not well supported in Catalina and will not get any better since Apple no longer support Catalina - it is obsolete. For those of us who cannot update beyond Catalina, the only practical thing to do is to use VirtualBox 6.1.x and go through the pain of installing the required kexts.
Nettuno76

Post by Nettuno76 »

I have the same problem, but the problem persist also when I downgrading to version 6. Anyone can help me?
Dschuulzs
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by Dschuulzs »

granada29 wrote:A number of people have had problems running VirtualBox 7.0.x on a Catalina host, myself included.
Hey there,

I just found this thread and as I am one of "those" - I would like to ask you, if you can give me a very brief guideline how to solve the issue. I just updated
to VB 7.0.6. and I ran into the same problems: blue screen, self repair message, no changes after rebooting the VM. I am a little bit scared because I am
not an expert when it comes to VM and unfortunately there are no Snapshots to go back to. I would be greateful if you would try to help me out.

Thank you in advance,
Julius
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

I suggest the best thing to do for now is to uninstall VirtualBox 7.0.6 (use the uninstall script on the installation .dmg) and install VirtualBox 6.1.42.
This will NOT remove your VMs

Download the software from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds_6_1

Also, you will find the Extensions Pack matching each version at this link. The Guest Additions, as usual, are bundled with the VirtualBox 6.x.x installer
Dschuulzs
Guest OSses: Windows 10

Post by Dschuulzs »

I want to thank you for the advices - at least in my case it was very easy to uninstall the corrupted (or incompatible) version and reinstall the last version that worked for me. I just had to install the extension pack again and my VM is up and running again. I am grateful that there are people like you, helping less advanced users in such situation. Appreciate it very much!

Just one thing I thought about - will I be able to use version 7.0.xx as some as I update my OS to a newer version of Mac OSX? Or is this a general issues, Mac users running VB, has to deal with and the should better not update to VB 7 at all?

Thanks again, cheers!
granada29
Volunteer

Post by granada29 »

Dschuulzs wrote: Just one thing I thought about - will I be able to use version 7.0.xx as some as I update my OS to a newer version of Mac OSX? Or is this a general issues, Mac users running VB, has to deal with and the should better not update to VB 7 at all?
If you upgrade macOS to Ventura, then you will have to use VirtualBox 7.x. For Big Sur or Monterey all I can say is that you could try VirtualBox 7.0 but be prepared to go back to VirtualBox 6.1.x if you strike major problems.

Also, always make sure you have a good backup of your system before doing the VirtualBox upgrade.