Recomended Minimum

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
jelabarre59

Recomended Minimum

Post by jelabarre59 »

Is there a listing anyplace on the recommended minimum requirements for VirtualBox 7.0? I was trying to set up a couple VMs for a MacBook Pro for my daughter to work with (MSWin10 and Fedora 37) and they BOTH have severe problems working. The Win10 VM can't manage to get the VBox WDDM display driver to work (uninstalled, reinstalled, still get a code #43), so I can't get it to auto-adjust it's screen resolution (it's also awfully sluggish, even for MSWin10). The Fediora VM kernel panics about 30-40 seconds into the boot, so I can't even install that at all.

Might just be better off with Crossover office for the MSWin stuff, and probably Homebrew (?) for Linux-type applications, but figured I'd see if VBox could be used (haven't worked with it for 3-4 years now, once my job had me working with KVM/QEMU).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Recomended Minimum

Post by mpack »

Installation requirements are in the user manual, chapter 2.2.

VirtualBox has very few requirements of it's own, the requirements come from the guest OS you wish to install. E.g. you can't give a VM 32GB of RAM, 10 cores, and 3D graphics acceleration if your host PC only has 16GB RAM, 4 cores and basic graphics.

For MacOS hosts the main new thing in the last couple of years is: make sure you have an Intel processor. VirtualBox support for M1/M2 is only theoretical, not practical, and is likely to remain that way for the forseeable future.