Windows VM One Time Shutdown when machine reboots

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
JediOutcast

Windows VM One Time Shutdown when machine reboots

Post by JediOutcast »

I am preparing a windows install on a flash drive for use in Bootcamp for gaming. I know that it will work because I have successfully booted to the USB and windows starts then says an error message and to restart the install. The reason for this is because in the process after the initial file copy in virtualbox of the install process when the machine says it is restarting you need to hit the red x and power off the machine, then boot to the new usb and continue the process. The problem is that the initial portion is taking a dreadful amount of time (a few hours) so I do other things and am not present to do this step and the machine reboots causing this problem. Is there a way in VirtualBox to tell it that when the machine does the reboot process to do a one time shutdown instead?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Windows VM One Time Shutdown when machine reboots

Post by scottgus1 »

No, I'm not aware of anything that Virtualbox has to redirect a VM OS reboot to a VM 'hardware' shutdown.
JediOutcast wrote:I am preparing a windows install on a flash drive
This will be a problem and may be the cause of the hours-wait for the state you need to click the close box. A flash or thumb drive is bad media to use for an OS to live on. The drive is not designed for OS-style constant writing and will die quickly. It also writes slowly in comparison to platter or SSD drives.

An SSD drive in a USB 3 or faster caddy will perform tons better.