Error in default driver creation in VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
lalarukh

Error in default driver creation in VM

Post by lalarukh »

Hi, I'm trying to create a driver named "default" in VM. but getting failed.
This is error, which I'm facing:

Code: Select all

lalarukh1@Lalarukh-MacBook-Pro ~ %  docker-machine create --driver virtualbox default
Running pre-create checks...
Creating machine...
(default) Copying /Users/lalarukh1/.docker/machine/cache/boot2docker.iso to /Users/lalarukh1/.docker/machine/machines/default/boot2docker.iso...
(default) Creating VirtualBox VM...
(default) Creating SSH key...
(default) Starting the VM...
(default) Check network to re-create if needed...
(default) Creating a new host-only adapter produced an error: /usr/local/bin/VBoxManage hostonlyif create failed:
(default) 0%...NS_ERROR_FAILURE
(default) VBoxManage: error: Failed to create the host-only adapter
(default) VBoxManage: error: Failed to execute '/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxNetAdpCtl add 2>&1' - exit status: 34304
(default) VBoxManage: error: Details: code NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005), component HostNetworkInterfaceWrap, interface IHostNetworkInterface
(default) VBoxManage: error: Context: "RTEXITCODE handleCreate(HandlerArg *)" at line 105 of file VBoxManageHostonly.cpp
(default) 
(default) This is a known VirtualBox bug. Let's try to recover anyway...
Error creating machine: Error in driver during machine creation: Error setting up host only network on machine start: The host-only adapter we just created is not visible. This is a well known VirtualBox bug. You might want to uninstall it and reinstall at least version 5.0.12 that is is supposed to fix this issue
I've tried several ways to get rid of this error. installed and then uninstalled VM, rebooted but all failed.
I don't know how am I able to make it run.
Seeking Guidance!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Error in default driver creation in VM

Post by mpack »

Version numbers of host OS and VirtualBox?
lalarukh

Post by lalarukh »

mpack wrote:Version numbers of host OS and VirtualBox?
Its MacOS Monterey 12.6.1 (21G217)
And 7.0 version of VirtualBox
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

The background reason is that in VirtualBox 7.0.4 on macOS hosts, a new type of Host-Only Network has to be used instead of the Host-Only Adapter (*), and Docker probably isn't aware of that. As long as you're not using macOS Ventura, I'd suggest to use VirtualBox 6.1.40 to circumvent the problem.

(*) The VirtualBox developers would like to get rid of this new mess, but it may take some time (and release updates) ...