Cannot install MacOS in VirtualBox on iMac

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
Jeroen2442

Cannot install MacOS in VirtualBox on iMac

Post by Jeroen2442 »

Summary: When installing MacOS Ventura as guest on my iMac running MacOS Monterey, the installer sees nor mouse nor keyboard.

I am trying to install MacOS Ventura as guest in VirtualBox 7.0 on my MacOS Monterey iMac. I created an ISO from the Ventura installer. When I start the VM all goes well until the graphical UI appears. It then asks me (pictorally) to switch on my mouse and keyboard.

Both mouse and keyboard are switched on and are being seen by my Windows 10 guest, but apparently not by the MacOS Ventura guest. I switched them on and off, to no avail.

They are wireless, but I also connected them to a USB port. No difference. I also tried with wired USB mouse and keyboard from my Windows machine, no difference.

A fragment of the log that may be relevant:

00:01:24.863392 ********************* End of statistics **********************
00:01:24.863442 VUSB: Detached 'HidKeyboard' from port 1 on RootHub#0
00:01:24.863513 VUSB: Detached 'HidMouse' from port 2 on RootHub#0

Any suggestions what I could do? Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: Cannot install MacOS in VirtualBox on iMac

Post by scottgus1 »

Jeroen2442 wrote:A fragment of the log that may be relevant:
Any suggestions what I could do?
Yes, please zip and post the whole log, using the forum's Upload Attachment tab.
stevenfoncken

Post by stevenfoncken »

You need to install the VirtualBox Extension Pack.
Current (for 7.0.6): Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-7.0.6a-155176.vbox-extpack (download from virtualbox site and double-click it)

You can then select "USB-3.0-Controller (xHCI)" under VM settings -> Ports -> USB -> USB-Controller

And you may need to add the "RealTSCOffset" parameter to the VM extradata and only use a single core.

For reference:
apple.stackexchange com/questions/435574/monterey-vm-reboot-loop-and-kernel-panic-in-virtualbox-6-1-32-on-apple-host-har/437357#437357
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

VirtualBox 7.x does USB2/3 in the native app, it does not require the Extension Pack.
stevenfoncken

Post by stevenfoncken »

mpack wrote:VirtualBox 7.x does USB2/3 in the native app, it does not require the Extension Pack.
My bad, I'm on 6.1.42