Guru Meditation error on Mac M1 VirtualBox 7.0.4 Beta

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
PA12678

Guru Meditation error on Mac M1 VirtualBox 7.0.4 Beta

Post by PA12678 »

Hi there!

I'm responsible for setting up virtual machines for a few of our clients. I keep encountering a Guru Meditation critical error message and cannot seem to determine the root cause.

Using the following specs:

Macbook Air (M1 2020)
Memory 8GB
Startup Disk Macintosh HD
MacOS Ventura 13.0.1

I've included log I have relating to this (had to upload a .zip as the file size was too big). I cannot seem to find a solution so any advice is really appreciated!
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(48.56 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guru Meditation error on Mac M1 VirtualBox 7.0.4 Beta

Post by mpack »

MacOS is your host, not your guest. I will move the topic to the "MacOS hosts" forum.

You can't install Windows 10 as a VirtualBox VM on an M1 host. See the stickied discussion at the top of this new forum.
PA12678

Post by PA12678 »

mpack wrote:MacOS is your host, not your guest. I will move the topic to the "MacOS hosts" forum.

You can't install Windows 10 as a VirtualBox VM on an M1 host. See the stickied discussion at the top of this new forum.
Thanks for coming back on this! Can I run any version of Windows using VirtualBox on M1?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

You can get 32bit versions (e.g. XP) to install, but whether they would be usable on a simulated Intel processor, I frankly doubt it. Also XP is very old (e.g. you'd have trouble finding Internet browsers compatible with modern Internet, because modern browsers no longer support XP).

And I will remind you: the only VirtualBox version that runs on M1/M2 processors is a developer preview, it doesn't even rise to the level of a beta. It is completely unsupported.