MAC Ventura killed my XP virtual machine?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
millerf1

MAC Ventura killed my XP virtual machine?

Post by millerf1 »

MAC kept saying the extensions would not be supported in the future. Has the future arrived?
Is my XP PhD program dead again? I see on other problems they say to try Version 7.
The update says I am current on 6.whatever

The virtual machine 'test' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1).

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {85632c68-b5bb-4316-a900-5eb28d3413df}
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Re: MAC Ventura killed my XP virtual machine?

Post by granada29 »

VirtualBox 6.x is not compatible with macOS Ventura because of the kexts (kernel extensions) required. VirtualBox 7.x does not use kernel extensions and runs well on macOS Ventura.

If you are not seeing VirtualBox 7.0.4 (current version) as an update then you can download it from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Before installing VirtualBox 7 you should uninstall VirtualBox 6 using the uninstall script proved in the downloaded .dmg and then reboot your machine.

Good luck.
millerf1

Post by millerf1 »

I did not try that because I did not want to risk my XP installation. If I uninstall 6 will that do away with my XP virtual machine?
granada29
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, macOS, Windows

Post by granada29 »

If I uninstall 6 will that do away with my XP virtual machine?
No - uninstall removes all the software components of VirtualBox but leaves your VMs (and their settings) intact.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

But you should do a backup. Anything important needs to be backed up, it's rather ubiquitous now.

Shut down the XP VM from within XP. The VM should read "powered off" in the main Virtualbox window. Then find the VM's folder and copy the entire contents, along with disk files that manually were stored outside hat folder (if any). Do a file-compare to confirm the integrity of the backup copy.

A full host disk image (can Mac do that?) would be good too. Then you can feel safer changing important apps.
millerf1

Post by millerf1 »

Thanks that worked. I did as you suggested. I have numerous MAC time machine backups on an external hard drive.
As an old retired software engineer I do not trust the "Cloud". Unless I can control and lock it up it does not exist.
At least XP had an install disk I could lock up...