VBOX not getting installed on MAC M1 Max

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
lightsky

VBOX not getting installed on MAC M1 Max

Post by lightsky »

Hi there,

I have recently purchased macbook pro with m1 max chip configuration.
Since in m1 we cannot directly install vbox, I have installed parallel desktop app which allows me to run windows 11. Now I'm trying to install vbox and it says fatal error: cannot proceed with installation.
Can someone help me on how to fix this issue?

Vbox version : 7.03
Attachments
error ss.png
error ss.png (38.23 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VBOX not getting installed on MAC M1 Max

Post by mpack »

If I understand correctly, you have installed the ARM edition of Windows 11 inside Parallels on a MacOS M1 host.

The ARM edition of Windows 11 is not a supported VirtualBox host. VirtualBox is an Intel CPU hypervisor. To do anything at all useful it requires an Intel or compatible CPU.
lightsky

Post by lightsky »

Hi Mpack,

Thanks for the response.
When I install parallel, it asks for the OS I want to install in it. I chose win 11. Not sure if it is ARM edition.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm pretty sure that Parallels can't emulate Intel fast enough to run Win11-AMD64 on an ARM processor, plus Intel editions of Win11 are famously fussy about which Intel CPU they will run on, so my bet is that you installed the ARM version of Win11 which is therefore not compatible with an x86 hypervisor. And this scenario may be unexpected enough that the devs didn't fully anticipate it, hence a crash instead.

The matter is easily settled: inside Windows 11 go into Settings | System | About, and post a screenshot of the processor settings. For comparison here is a screenshot from a Win11 VM (2 cores 8GB RAM) on my Win10-amd64 host PC:
Attachments
Image1.png
Image1.png (42.01 KiB) Viewed 1405 times