If it doesn't work - please say so

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
bubba1

If it doesn't work - please say so

Post by bubba1 »

If VirtualBox on Apple Silicon doesn't work - please have the guts to say so.

And.. if it doesn't work - please don't put some 'beta' drop in your downloads folder so that folks like me won't spend the morning trying to get it to work - only to find it has no chance whatsoever of doing so.

The problem with saying ANYTHING about it - and putting some drop in the downloads area is tech media organizations - like 9to5Mac - pick it up and then claim VB 7 has support for Apple Silicon. Then when it doesn't - the folks at VirtualBox and Oracle - look stupid.

Thanks.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Re: If it doesn't work - please say so

Post by scottgus1 »

bubba1 wrote:please have the guts to say so.
Already done, see the Mac Hosts M1/M2 sticky.
bubba1 wrote:if it doesn't work - please don't put some 'beta' drop in your downloads folder
You may have a really good point there....
fth0
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows 10, ...

Post by fth0 »

bubba1 wrote:The problem with saying ANYTHING about it - and putting some drop in the downloads area is tech media organizations - like 9to5Mac - pick it up and then claim VB 7 has support for Apple Silicon. Then when it doesn't - the folks at VirtualBox and Oracle - look stupid.
On the other hand, it's an opportunity to tell "tech media organizations" apart from each other. If they claim something that they haven't tried themselves, they are not worth my time. ;)

PS: Like most volunteers and moderators of the VirtualBox forums, I'm not affiliated to Oracle or the VirtualBox development.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

bubba1 wrote:If VirtualBox on Apple Silicon doesn't work - please have the guts to say so.
We already did - in many different threads, at least two of which are stickied in this very forum.

To be very clear: the feature does not work and I don't believe it ever will. Do you seriously believe that the M1/M2 processors are powerful enough to match modern Intel performance despite an emulation overhead? They'd fry if they tried.

Bottom line, if you want to run Intel code, use an Intel processor (or AMD, anything that runs Intel code natively).

And yes, I do kinda resent that the devs just lobbed this hand grenade into the arena and ran off, leaving us volunteer users with the impossible and thankless task of acquainting Mac users with reality.